cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View memory usage in CW 10.6

bengtandersson
Contributor III

Hi!

When building my SW for MPC5602B with CW 10.6 it's not possible to view the RAM/ROM usage from the .MAP file in an easy way. I have scanned the community for solution of this problem and tried thread/358911 without success since I can not use "size" and "readelf" since I'm not running LINUX. I have also tried to use the "run readelf only" option in the P&E PowerPC Nexus development kit but without success. Are there any other ways to see the RAM/ROM usage?

Labels (1)
7 Replies

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bengt,

I tried to use arm-non-eabi-size.exe utility and I got correct results about ROM/RAM usage. Look at the following figure. You can check the results against  map file. I use windows7 enterprise.

pastedImage_0.png

Values in columns text and data determines amount of data in flash, value in column bss determines amount of data in RAM.

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

bengtandersson
Contributor III

Hi Martin!

Seems like a useful tool. The problem is that is not installed on my PC (Windows 7 Professional). Where can I get it?

Regards Bengt.

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bengt,

It should be a part of CodeWarrior installation. Find your CW installation folder, click Cross_Tools\arm-non-eabi-gcc-4_7_3\bin and there should be many tools including this size.exe.

Just to make sure, I am sending you this example in the attachment.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

bengtandersson
Contributor III

Hi!

Works fine!!

The Cross_Tools folder was not included in my installation. Do you have any idea why??

Regards Bengt

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bengt,

the Cross_Tools are installed with al MCU10.x installer. But they are only installed if you install the ColdFire tools as these GNU tools are packaged with the ColdFire Build tools.

The GNU size tools is really very useful, here are a few articles about it:

I hope this helps,

Erich

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Erich,

thanks for clarification. I usually install CW with Qorivva parts only, but it is possible I try some different options during installation different CW versions and this is the reason why I have installed only CW 10.6.4 with Cross_Tools.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bengt,

I had checked the installation folders of different CodeWarrior versions and I found that Cross_Tools are delivered with CodeWarrior version 10.6.4 only. I packed all available tools for you (look at the attachment). You can check if there are other useful ones.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos