cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The iMX6 can't read the new NOR Flash

shimshonsinay
Contributor I

Hi,

I already designed an iMX6D board that boot successfuly from the Macronix MX25L4006EZUI-12G  Quad SPI NOR flash.

I just designed a new iMX6D board with the  Winbond W25Q128FVSIG  Quad SPI NOR flash, but the CPU refuses to read it during the boot - as a respond to the 'sf probe' command i get the following answer:

SF: Unsupported flash IDs: manuf ef, jedec 4018, ext_jedec 0000 !

Failed to initialize SPI flash at 0:21248

I found in the reference manual the following phrase:

'For QUAD mode boot, the Boot ROM expects the Quad Enable bit inside the QSPI Flash

to be already set before booting starts. Therefore, the QUAD enable bit must be set in the

non-volatile register of the flash at the time of programming.'

I wonder if this may be the answer to my problem? meaning, the Winbond flash datasheet says that the Quad Enable bit is '0' by default. the Macronix doesn't mention this issue, but may be its Quad Enable bit is '1' by default. I also found that Winbond has other version of this flash that its Quad Enable bit is '1' by default.

Any help  will be appreciated.

SF: Unsupported flash IDs: manuf ef, jedec 4018, ext_jedec 0000

Failed to initialize SPI flash at 0:21248

0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Shimshon

seems uboot can not recognize new flash,

one can try to add new flash ID parameters to

uboot/drivers/mtd/spi/sf_params.c

Right, during boot from qspi in quad mode, ROM expects the Quad

Enable bit inside the QSPI Flash to be already set.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

shimshonsinay
Contributor I

Thanks Igor,

I guess I'll try different chip that supports QE bit = 1 by default, and if this will not solve the problem I'll try your suggestion to add the new flash ID parameters.

Regards,

Shimshon

0 Kudos