cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-MSD Bootloader Broken on Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Jump to solution
mindaliveinc
Contributor I

The ROM-based USB-MSD bootloader on my LPC11U35, LPC11U68, and LPC1549 development boards has stopped working after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. A drive letter appears, but is inaccessible with Windows either asking me to insert a disc, or format it. I have several mbed development boards as well, and the MSD function on most of them is broken as well.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mindaliveinc
Contributor I

Good news everyone, KB3176934 appears to have resolved this issue!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mindaliveinc
Contributor I

Good news everyone, KB3176934 appears to have resolved this issue!

0 Kudos
conurus
Contributor I

The mass storage device implementation is not complete but exploit the way Windows allocate blocks for a file. The real firmware always starts from sector 4 (512 byte sectors) and on OS X and Linux people have been using dd to just write the firmware to the physical device starting from sector 4 to program firmware. Apparently the anniversary update is checking integrity more stringently.

Over the last couple of days I have been tinkering with the Windows API to come up with a tool that directly access physical sectors of the drive. Basically we called CreateFile with path \\.\PhysicalDriveN to access the disk. Now here is the biggest problem: to gain sector-level access one must have administrator privileges. To us this is a huge major setback. We have a dedicated computer running a custom programming tool to write firmware on our production line but we don't want that computer to be always running as administrator. We used to be able to do USB firmware programming with only user-level access.

I think NXP could also fix the silicon, but this would not have helped with the stock we already have on our inventory.

0 Kudos
soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I do not have Windows 10 in my computer, but we may try to disable the integrity check from Windows API.

There is a command that can be execute in a cmd window:

bcedit.exe  /set nointegritychecks ON

How to I turn off digital signature? - Microsoft Community 

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
martinforst
Contributor I

Same here on LPC1343.

0 Kudos