Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QVGA controller: AVRX Display Xplained

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Thu Jan 12 14:08:36 MST 2012
I am looking for someone that has interfaced the QVGA TFT 320x240 display from the "Atmel AVRX Display Xplained" to the LPC13/17xx via the SPI I/F.

The LCD Controller is ET024006DHU LCD Module (Emerging Display) used with the HX8347-A (Himax) interface.

Ideally, the code would be usable for Code Red, and the LPC Xpresso 13xx/17xx platforms.

I have seen some MBED to HX8347 solutions, but none using the AVRX platform.

If anyone has done this, I would appreciate any assistance with notes, the connections and/or the driver.

Thanks for the support.
0 Kudos
12 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Fri Jan 13 14:06:22 MST 2012
There is a lot of nice stuff on the web.
I was looking for a cheap solution that is ready for 'mass' production.
I'm thinking of batches of 10 LCDs in one go for a number of hobby and semi-commercial projects.

I ordered 5 128x64 B/W LCDs from R&S Components (12 EUR each). Nice display with SPI interface. Now I am waiting for this one:

[IMG]http://bikealive.nl/img-for-others/LPCXpresso-forum/1.8spi_lcd.jpg[/IMG]

It's only 128x160 pixels, not exactly QVGA but maybe nice for some other project you have. Being sold by "egochina8848" at Ebay for 6.40 USD (5 EUR) - including P&P :)

There is some nice stuff out there. Just search for SPI LCD on Ebay. The second link that pops up just now is a 3.2" 320x240 SPI LCD for 16 USD :eek:
A real gimmeone product...
Edit: Oops - just noticed in time that the LCD has a 16 bits parallel interface ...

Regards,[INDENT]Rob
[/INDENT]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Fri Jan 13 10:15:39 MST 2012
Awesum ideas from all. Thanks.

Off for a few days. Will pick this up on Monday.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Fri Jan 13 09:33:11 MST 2012
If you are short on I/O pins and/or do not want to mess with brewing your own, then one of these http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=114 intelligent displays will give you a very nice looking and professional result.  Only needs an easy 5 pin interface to any host device - VCC, TX, RX, GND, RESET.  Includes touch, built-in microSD and will do just about anything including full motion video.

[IMG]http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prodimg/p1277892910.jpg[/IMG]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri Jan 13 09:23:39 MST 2012
If your application doesn't need a fast display SPI is a good approach. If you find a display like this

http://www.watterott.com/index.php?page=product&x61bfa=qo3nv6c3olmf6cgj0dbm54ibi3&info=1627

you can use the same SPI to read touchscreen controller :rolleyes:
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Fri Jan 13 09:08:07 MST 2012
Great looking demos!

I stand by my initial decision: SPI for ease of connection in a prototype application.

And NO, I have not settled on a target QVGA display or code, and at the moment, my target design will probably not require anything elaborate; but all is possible.

Clearly a serial connection is not desirable on a real product, but consider that this is an upgrade to an OLED 96x64 display on the EA base board - big.

And unfortunately, with limited physical abilities, best to stick with fewer prototype connections; leave that for a new board layout.

Lastly, THANK YOU for your insights! I appreciate all comments and responses.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by js-nxp on Thu Jan 12 23:08:38 MST 2012

Quote:
the SPI requires fewer connections

True but as long as you understand that it can be up to 30 times slower depending on which colour mode you plan to use like 16 bit RGB565 (about the best compromise) or 24bit mode.

Do you have any graphic code already? Like a font and basic line, circle etc.

This is my 7" display running in 16 bit mode with the LPCXpresso at 48MHz. On the same page you can compare other size displays with 8 and 48MHz and 8/16bit mode. I don't think I have a video for the SPI mode version. I only tried one and the supplier has taken his sample back.

http://vimeo.com/couchmode/user2128302/videos/sort:date/34993666
http://vimeo.com/couchmode/user2128302
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Thu Jan 12 18:05:50 MST 2012
Actually, the SPI requires fewer connections. I use the Embedded Artists Baseboard with LPC1769, and not interested in designing a new board. Just utilize the tools in my bag.
Since I am focusing on operability rather than speed, can live with a few limitations.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by js-nxp on Thu Jan 12 17:42:20 MST 2012

Quote:
moved from AVR to Xpresso

... so far only I'm only looking at the real estate in the neighbourhood...not moving yet. :)

Any reason why you want to use SPI rather than 8 bit? (16 bit is doable with the LPC1114 )

SPI can be a bit slow, still useable. I have done it with the AVR (8MHz clock, 2MHz SPI) and a Multi Inno display. However it seems that every manufacturer has a different protocol so what will work with one display will not work with another. The MI display seems to have a I2C like protocol over SPI. :confused:
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Thu Jan 12 17:19:46 MST 2012
Yes, it is obsolete. But I have one, and it's never been used.

Was hoping that someone, like me, who moved from AVR to Xpresso, may also have the solution.

Thanks for looking.

Here's to wishing...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by js-nxp on Thu Jan 12 17:07:55 MST 2012
Would you like the BAD news or the BAD news 1st? :)

I have downloaded the data sheet for the display from Farnell UK and it is no longer manufactured :eek: so unless you just want to play with it I would suggest you get another display.

The display I mentioned above MAY BE the replacement for it, at least that's what the supplier kept on saying but it is 3.2" rather than 2.4" like the one you have, so I'm confused.

Unfortunately the one I have seems to have been hard wired for 16bit mode only.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Thu Jan 12 16:18:37 MST 2012
Primarily as the display, and later, with the touch screen.

I understand the SPI I/F, but it appears that this display is using the MSPI from the usart - should work the same, but an unsure of which interface/signal pins to connect. Don't want to blow it up just yet...

Once I get the display working, I can then work on the touch screen.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by js-nxp on Thu Jan 12 15:00:23 MST 2012
Do you mean you just want to use the display ONLY and nothing else from the Xplained board?

I have used the HX8347 with a display from GW in 16 bit mode which is supposed to be equivalent to the one used by Atmel. Unfortuantely we waited for ever, well almost :D , to get a touch screen for it from the supplier so we gave up on that one.

edit sorry I should have said used it with an Atmel controller, but I have taken the general code (not the HX8347 version) to the LPC1114 and only the low level port drivers need change from memory.[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
0 Kudos