Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Speed USB device on USB1 with external PHY

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by royg on Tue Apr 29 16:32:48 MST 2014
Does anyone have a High Speed device working on LPC4350 USB1 with an external PHY?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the LPC1850EVA-A4 evaluation board populated with a LPC4350.

I have attached a EVB-USB3343 eval board with a microchip USB3343 to the ULPI port with VddIO set to 3.3V.

I have set up the ULPI pins and set up USB1 as outlined in the Application Note AN11309. USB1 branch clock disabled, PTS bits set to use ULPI, allowed to connect at any speed.

I have established communication with the external PHY via the ULPI viewport register. I am able to read the PHY's read only registers and read/write to the PHY's scratch register.

I have working firmware for USB0 high speed device using the ROM USB stack and want it to work with USB1,

I can not get the External PHY to connect. The PHY's function control and OTG registers read back as if the PHY is set for "Host HS/FS Resume mode" both DP and DM are pulled down which agrees with the register settings.

If I try to force the PHY to "Peripheral HS/FS Resume Mode"  DP pulled up to signal the host that a device is attached by writing to the PHY registers when allowing to connect, it seems that the controller forces the PHY back to "Host HS/FS Mode" confirmed by reading back the registers and what I see on the bus.

I am not using P2_5 Vbus, but I am setting the Vbus active bit  in the LPC USB1_DP/USB1_DM (SFSUSB) register to tell the USB1 controller that it is active.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by moualek_adlene on Sat Feb 28 00:07:11 MST 2015
I have the same problem with integrating USB3343 PHY with LPC1850 MCU. i can't get the solution to work in high speed.
I have read all the posts in this forum about this and as conclusion i will say that i don't understand how NXP support recommend us to use ISP1507BBS PHY while it is no more in production (it's status is obsolete in most known websites like mouser, digikey, farnel,...).
I hope that NXP support update their proposition or give us an explication.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mc on Mon Feb 09 11:09:19 MST 2015
Hi royg,
As mentioned in below thread I have tested with below LPC devices successfully with ISP1507BBS PHY.

LPC4350 RevA
LPC4350 RevC
LPC4357 Rev -

LPC1850 RevA
LPC1850 RevC
LPC1857 Rev -

See here
http://www.lpcware.com/content/forum/lpc4357-external-usb-phy

So, I do not see any problem with LPC4350 RevA version of the device.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by royg on Mon May 12 10:51:54 MST 2014
I am familiar with the application note AN11309 as stated in the original post.

We have it working now.

We unplugged the same modified EVB-USB3343 eval board and interconnect and plugged it into another HiTex LPC1850EVA-A4 evaluation board populated with a LPC4350. Same firmware and now it works.

The newer working HiTex Eval board has a Rev. C LPC4350 as opposed to the older non-working HiTex Eval board which has a Rev. A LPC4350. There were no obvious signs of hardware faults such as shorts or opens to the ULPI bus in the older eval board.

We did not find any documented errata regarding USB1-ULPI operation with the LPC4350.

The only change we made was using a different HiTex eval board with the different silicon revision chips populated. The EVB-USB3343 eval board with interconnect cabling and firmware are the same.

Is it possible that there was a silicon problem regarding ULPI operation on the Rev A LPC4350?

Thanks

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by xianghuiwang on Fri May 09 13:28:00 MST 2014
Hi, Royg,
You can reference this application note in your implementation - it describes high speed USB implementation on USB1.
http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/an11309-connecting-high-speed-usb-phy-ulpi

Good luck!

0 Kudos