cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.Mx Quad Sabre Auto Android   NOT BOOTED

Jump to solution
kierancox
Contributor II

The BSP downloaded for this board are both the source and images files created on 6/2/2015. I'ave attached the source/build instructions contained there-in.

Android OS for i.MX Applications Processors|NXP

Android OS for i.MX Applications Processors|NXP

The system boots into Android fine with the supplied binary images. However, after following the instructions (see attached) very closely, the build system does not create images that boot the system fully. The same SDcard and same board were used when swapping images, so the jumpers are set correctly and the SDcard is formatted correctly.

After some help, it was suggested I check the device tree contained within the boot-imx6q.img file generated. The script to split is split_bootimg.pl and located here: http://www.enck.org/tools.html

After splitting the image the device tree is the *.img-second.gz file. The device tree I'm generating has zero diffs from the images supplied by Freescale. The issue is the Android build environment setup is not building the correct version of the kernel.  To that end the kernel Android builds with the "lunch sabreauto_6q-user" is not the same as the supplied kernel image.

I attached the serial output logs of both kernels booting up. If you diff those logs you'll see the kernel build by Android has a broken SD/MMC card driver. The MMC is never detected/setup in the kernel, thus the kernel cannot mount partitions from it.  The kernel itself lives on the SDcard, but it's loaded fine because U-boot correctly recognizes the SDcard.

The instructions direct the kernel source to be  cloned separately from running repo for Android and the instructions selected a particular tag, ie:

git clone git://git.freescale.com/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git kernel_imx

git checkout l5.0.0_1.0.0-ga

As this isn't the correct version of the kernel to build, what is the version that will generate a working SD/MMC card driver?   Looking at the kernel log, the kernel version is 3.10.53. There are numerous tags that can be checked out for the FSL kernel (http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/refs/tags)  I'm sure the right tag to check out is in there, but which one?

Original Attachment has been moved to: sabre_auto_boot_PreBuilt_20151211_0048.log.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: sabre_auto_boot_20151210_1840.log.zip

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kierancox
Contributor II

Thanks for looking into this Guoyin, but it's not the SDcard. The same SDcard boots the system fine with the downloaded boot-imx6q.img.

After a lot of time (days) trying to figure this out, I finally figured out what the problem is and have the system booting from a compiled image.  Long story short, the setup/installation instructions provided by Freescale/NXP are incorrect. I'll allow the powers that be at Freescale/NXP to post a solution and fix their build instructions.

If you ( or someone at Freescale/NXP Q/A) starts clean and follows the Android User's Guide pdf instructions you will not achieve a working build.  This is due to tree/version mismatches for the directed download.

I recommend Freescale/NXP offer an entire verified/build-able source tree as a large archive do download (which includes the the .repo and all .git directories) to help avoid this issue in the future. A LOT of time was wasted due to the instructions not properly being through a Q/A process.

This is the same issue as: https://community.freescale.com/message/596427?et=watches.email.thread#596427

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chenguoyin
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

For the built image, the log shows the kernel commit is 4f0dd92

Linux version 3.10.53-06587-g4f0dd92 (b18293@scmbld4) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #3 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 5 10:02:53 CST 2015

CPU: ARMv7 Processor [412fc09a] revision 10 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7d

For your built image, the log shows the kernel commit is 4f0dd92 which same as prebuilt image.

Linux version 3.10.53-88204-g4f0dd92 (kcox@kcox-M4800) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 9 10:24:11 PST 2015

CPU: ARMv7 Processor [412fc09a] revision 10 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7d

CPU: PIPT / VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT aliasing instruction cache

So the kernel tag should correct in your source code tree.

Based on the log your provided, it should be your SD Card issue. Please double check your SD Card

For our prebuilt image, the log for mmc2 is below

mc0: no vqmmc regulator found

mmc0: no vmmc regulator found

mmc0: SDHCI controller on 2190000.usdhc [2190000.usdhc] using ADMA

mmc2: no vqmmc regulator found

mmc2: no vmmc regulator found

mmc2: SDHCI controller on 2198000.usdhc [2198000.usdhc] using ADMA

Galcore version 5.0.11.25762

mmc2: new ultra high speed DDR50 SDHC card at address 59b4

mmcblk2: mmc2:59b4 NCard 7.47 GiB

mmcblk2: p1 p2 p3 < p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 > p4

mmcblk2: p4 size 13498368 extends beyond EOD, truncated

For your built image, , the log for mmc2 is below

mc0: no vqmmc regulator found

mmc0: no vmmc regulator found

mmc0: SDHCI controller on 2190000.usdhc [2190000.usdhc] using ADMA

mmc2: no vqmmc regulator found

mmc2: no vmmc regulator found

mmc2: SDHCI controller on 2198000.usdhc [2198000.usdhc] using ADMA

0 Kudos
kierancox
Contributor II

Thanks for looking into this Guoyin, but it's not the SDcard. The same SDcard boots the system fine with the downloaded boot-imx6q.img.

After a lot of time (days) trying to figure this out, I finally figured out what the problem is and have the system booting from a compiled image.  Long story short, the setup/installation instructions provided by Freescale/NXP are incorrect. I'll allow the powers that be at Freescale/NXP to post a solution and fix their build instructions.

If you ( or someone at Freescale/NXP Q/A) starts clean and follows the Android User's Guide pdf instructions you will not achieve a working build.  This is due to tree/version mismatches for the directed download.

I recommend Freescale/NXP offer an entire verified/build-able source tree as a large archive do download (which includes the the .repo and all .git directories) to help avoid this issue in the future. A LOT of time was wasted due to the instructions not properly being through a Q/A process.

This is the same issue as: https://community.freescale.com/message/596427?et=watches.email.thread#596427

0 Kudos