T2080 hardcoded RCW is always required for codewarrior connection during board bring up?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T2080 hardcoded RCW is always required for codewarrior connection during board bring up?

karunakaranradh
Contributor IV

Hi,

RCW source configured (cfg_rcw_src) as hard coded RCW and the new RCW value are loaded over code warrior. This was working fine and there is no issue during connect operation of code warrior afterward i programmed the RCW in NOR flash and changed cfg_rcw_src as NOR Flash. This is the sequence followed during board bring condition.

I erased RCW data from NOR flash and try to connect with code warrior using cfg_rcw_src source as NOR Flash. it was connected properly. without change the cfg_rcw_src as hard coded RCW.

In other case NAND flash also contains the RCW source but cfg_rcw_src source configured as NOR flash.

1) Whether hard coded RCW setting is required even RCW data is not available on NOR flash?

2) Whether it is possible to fetch the RCW data from NAND, if the RCW selected source does not contain any RCW?

Regards

Karunakaran R

9 Replies

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Karunakaran

There is couple things going on here :

You can set your your rcw_src pins to

load an RCW value from NOR, NAND etc or

the pin readings can correspond to

one of those hard coded rcw_src values.

If you arrange your bootstrap pins to load

the RCW from NAND it will do so.

Now independent from this, you can also

have your JTAG debugger to override

rcw_src. The JTAG debugger sends this

value during reset initialization by directly

writing to your debug port (CAM) registers.

In most cases, this rcw_src can only be

a hard coded rcw_src.

For your specific questions :

> 1)  Whether hard coded RCW setting is required even RCW data is not available on NOR flash?

A rcw values is always required, either from NOR, NAND or other src sources (as directed

by the bootstrap rcw_src pins).

> 2)  Whether it is possible to fetch the RCW data from NAND, if the RCW selected source

>       does not contain any RCW?

RCW must exist in the source that is directed by the bootstap pins and if no rcw exists

there your SoC will not boot.  In the cases where your flash that was set up as rcw source

is empty you have two options : you can either change your rcw_src bootstrap pins to

correspond to a hard coded value or you can provide a hard coded value using your

JTAG. I am not particularly familiar with CodeWarrior TAP but most JTAG debuggers

would provide a mechanism to do this.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sinan Akman   

0 Kudos

karunakaranradh
Contributor IV

Hi Sinan Akman,

Thanks for your information.

In our processor board does not have provision to select the RCW source by user, In this case,i have to maintain one separate hard coded RCW  CPLD for code warrior connection only at first power on or RCW data courruped.

As per T2080 errata states "Reconfiguration of RCW via JTAG/TPR debugger can’t work in non-hard coded RCW when PBL is enabled".

But in my case, with non-hard coded RCW also connected properly using codewarrior when the cfg_rcw_src device does not contain the RCW data.

Both hard coded and non hard coded RCW are connected properly using code warrior.

I want to confirm, At the first poweron of the processor board bring up, the hard coded RCW setting is really required.

Kindly suggest me the hard coded RCW is required or not?

Regards

Karunakaran R

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Karunakaran

I am not sure if I understood your question exactly but

here is how it works :

For T-based devices overriding RCW source via JTAG can

not be used to select a specific RCW source. When you use

your JTAG debugger to provide the RCW source it must

select a hard-coded RCW. As explained in Errata A-007980

selecting any other source will not work.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

karunakaranradh
Contributor IV

Hi Sinan Akman,

Thanks for your feedback.

During processor board first power-on, i will use hard coded RCW setting for code warrior connection to reconfiguration of RCW from external.

And once again thanks for your reply.

Regards

Karunakaran R

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Karunakaran

Any feedback on that, did it

work ?

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

karunakaranradh
Contributor IV

Hi Sinan Akman,

For me, both hardcoded and non hardcode RCW settings, code warrior connection was smooth even RCW not available on any non volatile devices.

I decided to use non hardcoded RCW for codewarrior connection always.

Thanks & Regards

Karunakaran R

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Karunakaran

Thanks for the update.

Yes you can override the individual RCWs

via JTAG, however RCW source needs to be

hard coded as the Errata points out.

Glad to hear you seem to have the set up

you needed.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I guess CodeWarrior simply supplies RCW via debug connection. Have you tried to run the board from NAND without CodeWarrior debug probe connection?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

karunakaranradh
Contributor IV

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply,

During by my board first power on, Code warrior connection have issue when cfg_src_src signal set as NOR flash. After, I referred the errata, changed to cfg_rcw_src signal set as hard coded RCW. After changed only it was connected and RCW are reconfigured via codewarrior as per  the impact states in errata A-007980.

But now the cfg_rcw_src set to NOR flash which is currently not having any RCW data and reconfigure the RCW via codewarrior without change the cfg_rcw_src to hard coded, it was connected.

I am confused, how the code warrior connected without any change in cfg_rcw_src when cfg_rcw_src source does not have the RCW data.

Any possible to take PBL from NAND flash if cfg_rcw_src is configured to NOR flash.

I want to know the hard coded RCW is mandatory  when cfg_rcw_src device does not have RCW data?

Regards

Karunakaran R

0 Kudos