Suggest for use MC9S08SH8

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggest for use MC9S08SH8

rtribaudino
Contributor I
It's the first time that I Write on this forum.
I'm just working with S08SH and I'will use SCI to 19200 baud, with external crystal 16MHz.
I desire to have freq. of busclock to work 8MHz, but working with 16MHz crystal is necessary to set cpu in FBELP mode. In this mode BDC is not enable and i cannot debug the application.

Do you have some suggest to obtain 19200 baud with 8MHz of bus clock with or not External crystal?
Naturally i need to use BDC module.

Thank you very much for yours suggests

Riccardo

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

rtribaudino
Contributor I
Hi,
everything it's ok. The BDC clock can be Busclock in FBELP mode.
The problem is my development tool (better I was the problem:smileysad:). I've used for BDC clock the fixed clock in the setting of tool. The better way is to use Busclock for BDC.

Thanks

Riccardo 
0 Kudos

han_lin
Contributor I
Hi,
Have you considered using internal source clock in your application as well? You can also generate 8 MHZ bus with the built-in internal source clock. It has a +/- 2 % accuracy.  That way you can save some board space use for external crystal.

Han
0 Kudos

rtribaudino
Contributor I
Hi,
now a read the manual , but it's not very clear. I don't understand if the BDC can use ICSCLK or BUS CLOCK. So if i work with 16Mhz crystal i need to go in FBELP mode. At this point the ICSLCLK is not avaible(pag 153 of the manual). I don't understand if BDC can use the bus clock. The manual is not clear about that.

I will try on my board, but if someone has some idea i will appreciate it.

Thank you

Riccardo
0 Kudos

rtribaudino
Contributor I
Thank you Ake
The SCI module is identical to other MCS08, but the source clock for this cpu is different. So actually I cannot use 16Mhz of crystal because the clock for BDC module is not provided.
I'm not understand how i can run the bus clock to 8 MHz with a crystal of 16Mhz in FBE mode or in other mode in the way that i can use the BDC clock for debugging.

Regards
Riccardo

0 Kudos

Ake
Contributor II
Hi,
I have no DEMO9S08SH8 MCU, so I will have to read the manual and guess.
So here are my guesses:

1) If you want to run with an external crystal, the FLL should run in a Bypassed External (FBE) mode.
The BDM is active in this mode

But there really was a lot of the BDM in the 9S08SH8 manual.
I would like to have some hardware to play with to get a good understanding about it.
Sorry about that!

Regards,
Ake
0 Kudos

Ake
Contributor II
Hi,
You should be able to run the BDM, no matter which baud rate you have set up for the SCI or which external clock you are using.

I have no experience with the 9S08SH8, but as the SCI module is the same is all other 9S08s, this should to the trick.

If you have an 8 MHz bus clock and want to run the SCI at 19.2 kBaud, the SCI receiver must run 16 times faster, or 16 * 19.2 Kb = 307.2 kHz.
If you divide 8 MHz/307.2 kHz = 26.04.
So set the
SCIBD = 26;
and it ought to do the trick.

Regards,
Ake

0 Kudos