Download slows in CW 6.4 compared to CW 6.2

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download slows in CW 6.4 compared to CW 6.2

DCPower
Contributor I
We recently upgraded from v6.2 to v6.4 of CW for Coldfire.

The time it takes to download our 2.6MB application into RAM doubled - it went from about 30s to a minute.

Has anyone else seen this?  Can anyone suggest how to shorten the download time or at least a reason why the newer CW takes longer to download?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Black
Contributor I

There was a known issue where the download time was 4 times slower on CW ColdFire version 6.3 and 6.4 than on the 6.2 version using P&E MicroUSB. Actually this was not a bug; the root cause was as follows: CW 6.2 doesn't take the access size from .mem file into account and is using 4 bytes access by default. CW 6.4, on the other hand, is using the access size information from mem file and it is 1 byte by default. As a workaround please set the memory access size to 4 in the appropriate mem file in order to achieve the same speed as in the CW 6.2. You can set the .mem file in your project settings CF Debugger Settings panel->Use Memory Configuration File, after editing this file with memory access size to 4 bytes, like in the following example:

//         Memory Map:
range      0x00000000 0x03FFFFFF 4 ReadWrite    // 64MB DDR SDRAM

range      0x20000000 0x20000FFF 4 ReadWrite    // 4K SRAM0 (RAMBAR0)
range      0x20001000 0x20001FFF 4 ReadWrite    // 4K SRAM1 (RAMBAR1)

0 Kudos

CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
I remember that I did read some time ago that 6.2 did not respect the access size specified in the memory configuration file for download, while 6.4 (I think I did read this for 6.3 actually) does.
But that's about what came to my mind when reading this, try access sizes 1 or 4.

Daniel
0 Kudos