cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

56f8013 and parallel JTAG interface problem

Gulash_data
Contributor I
Hi.
I have a strange (and irritating) problem. I have a circuit with 56f8013 on it programmed via JTAG interface plugged into parallel port to PC (AXIOM taken from DEMO56F8013). Until last saturday evening everything was absolutely perfect. Basically what happened is that i get css error: cable not connected. I thought that accidentially i fried DSC but when i soldered another (new) one nothing cjhanged. Stranger thing is that the same JTAG interface works without any problem with demo bord from freescale.
I triple-checked the circuit to find anything wrong and it looks like everything is OK.
Please - help me or i'll loose the last hair on my head ...
Especially - can someone check how does the TMS signal look when JTAG transmision starts over lpt-connected JTAG. Mine generates a few very short and irregular pulses.

thanks in advice
Luke (Warsaw University of Technology)
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi,

You experienced problem with the Jtag interface and your board.
To resume the situation, the connection is working with the demoboard but not with your board.
It seems there is a problem with the JTag onboard design.
Please have a look to the chapter 11 in the manual:

I checked with my colleague working to the Hardware team.
We suggest you to check the JTAG (on your board) interface with respect of EVM solution.

There is an issue with the 8013 chip.
Don't think this can help you.
Please have a look to the FAQ:

If you meet more info we suggest you to log it in our CRM system.
Please use Freescale on line support web page.
  - Go to following URL: http://www.freescale.com/TechSupport
  - Click on Submit a Service Request. You will come to a login page.
  - You can submit your request through the web from there.

In the Service request, provide us the following info:
the Tool version used.
To do that you must:
* CW:
Start the IDE and click on Help | About Metrowerks CodeWarrior.
Click on Installed Products 
Provide us all info displayed.
Or you can save them in a txt file.

In order to get some info could you please send us the log file of the communication?
To generate this file you must:
    - open the CCS windows,
    - type 'log verbose ads.log',
     -type 'log quiet'.

Thanks
Pascal
0 Kudos

Gulash_data
Contributor I
Thank You for your reply.
Problem solved. Appears that it was both hardware and software issue. I built modified Wiggler JTAG interface and the demo PWM application begin to upload and run correctly on both demo board and my own board. But there was another software problem. When i tried to upload my application, uploading was correct but trying to run it caused connection error. After that it was impossible to upload demo agin. It was necessary to disconect power from the board and wait a few minutes. Then about half dozen of resets and JTAG started working.
Analysys of the application revealed that there ware global arrays which might have caused memory leak. I think that this somehow blocked JTAG state machine and it needed some time to get rid of any remaining electrical charges (multiple resets didn't help - longer power disconnection was the solution).
Redesign of the application resolved the problem for good.
I wander if anyone had any similar problems with JTAG stopping to work after a memory leak.

Thanks,
Luke
0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi,

Thanks fro the details.
Don't hesitate to contact us.

Pascal
0 Kudos