cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I program USBDM or OpenSDA into a new, blank MK20DX128VFM5

Jump to solution
deuteron
Contributor II

If I have a new MK20DX128VFM5 just like that used for SDA in FRDM-KL25Z, how do I program USBDM into it, so that I can use it as a device programmer for a differenct Kinetis chip. Everything I see needs OpenSDA already in the chip, but this is a new board. I have Codewarrior 10.6, Segger J-link and also a  working USBDM board. I tried compiling sources taked from USBDM under sourceforge, but although these compile and load, they do not run on a new chip without OpenSDA already present.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jacob:

OpenSDA (v1) is a propietary P&E firmware and source code is not available, so you cannot replicate this bootloader on a K20 MCU. The K20 in a FRDM-KL25Z has this version.

On the other hand, there is the new OpenSDAv2 also suitable for K20DX128, which is Open Source and USBDM is already supported with this version.

For detailed information about OpenSDAv2 and USBDM, check the next links:

OpenSDAv2

USBDM

I hope this helps.

Regards!,

Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jacob:

OpenSDA (v1) is a propietary P&E firmware and source code is not available, so you cannot replicate this bootloader on a K20 MCU. The K20 in a FRDM-KL25Z has this version.

On the other hand, there is the new OpenSDAv2 also suitable for K20DX128, which is Open Source and USBDM is already supported with this version.

For detailed information about OpenSDAv2 and USBDM, check the next links:

OpenSDAv2

USBDM

I hope this helps.

Regards!,

Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
deuteron
Contributor II

Thanks very much. There is a link on that page to the required AFX, and this works. This is what I did to test it. I took a FRDM-KL25Z board, and since all erasing of the K20 on this board is disabled, I physically replaced the chip with a new one. I then used a different FRDM-KL25Z chip that ran USBDM (over OpenSDA (V1)) to copy the AFX file into the new chip, and thus OpenSDAv2 was installed. Thereafter I was able to use its bootloader to oopy other apps into the K20, including USBDM_OpenSDA2. It all works fine.

0 Kudos