cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underpressure rating for MPL115A

Jump to solution
rogers
Contributor I

Hi, only overpressure is specified in the maximum ratings in all the datasheets I've seen for pressure sensors. I'm using the MPL115A sensor, and there it's specified 1000kPa overpressure as a maximum. What is the maximum underpressure for this component? Will it handle -0.5 Bar?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

Hello Roger,

Absolute Pressure Sensors like the MPL3115A are designed to measure an external pressure relative to a zero–pressure reference (vacuum) sealed inside the reference chamber of the die during manufacture. You mentioned that you would expose the sensor to -50kPa (-0.5Bar), how did you measure that level? Did u use a gauge manometer?

If that’s the gauge pressure level inside a chamber (tank or something similar), then you would be exposing the MPL115A to the atmospheric level minus 50kPa, which is around positive 50kPa (absolute pressure).

Please let me know if I misunderstood your question.

Hope it helps!

Josh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

Hello Roger,

Absolute Pressure Sensors like the MPL3115A are designed to measure an external pressure relative to a zero–pressure reference (vacuum) sealed inside the reference chamber of the die during manufacture. You mentioned that you would expose the sensor to -50kPa (-0.5Bar), how did you measure that level? Did u use a gauge manometer?

If that’s the gauge pressure level inside a chamber (tank or something similar), then you would be exposing the MPL115A to the atmospheric level minus 50kPa, which is around positive 50kPa (absolute pressure).

Please let me know if I misunderstood your question.

Hope it helps!

Josh

0 Kudos
rogers
Contributor I

Thanks for your reply Joshvelle! I got the info I needed.

I was unsure how you made these sensors. The reason why I asked the question was because I'm following a procedure to fill a tank with a specific gas (first to make vacuum, when filling it with gas). In the procedure it is said that the electronics inside could be exposed to pressure of -0,5Bar. I would assume they have used a gauge manometer when they made the procedure, to be able to determine the pressure value.

- Roger

Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

Roger,

you're welcome, please contact us back if you need further support.

Have fun!

Josh

0 Kudos