Recommended PCIe 3G modem for IMX53 SABRE tablet.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended PCIe 3G modem for IMX53 SABRE tablet.

Jump to solution
winstonrodrigue
Contributor IV

Dear Pals,

I am working on a project where I need to use a 3G modem to send data to remote server.

I was wondering if any one has ever worked on 3G modem interface through PCIe to SABRE tablet or any IMX5x processor.

My question is which is the 3G modem that is recommended by freescale ?

Are there any drivers available for it ?

Thanks and regards,

Winston

1 Solution
weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,Winston,

You can get 3G datasheet that you want to use from manufacture, then upload it here, let me see and give you some advice.

In additon, Signal definitions on MiniPCIe connector are different for differenct manufacture, so you will have to check 3G's datasheet.

Just now, I saw you gave me link, that is a 3G module based on USB Host. you can use it.

Regards,

Weidong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JerryFan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

But i.MX53 has no PCIe controller within it. i.MX6DQ and i.MX6DL have.

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,Winston,

Most of 3G moudles use USB Host Signal , and the USB signal is connected to i.MX via MiniPCIe connectors with 52 Pins. That is : 3G Module(USB)-->52pin--->USB Host On CPU, It is not a real PCIe siganal. So please don't confuse the concept .

If you use 3G module on i.MX53, you can use 3G with USB interface, just like above.

Maybe there are some 3G modules with real PCIe signal, but you only use it on i.MX6 platform.

Regards,

Weidong

0 Kudos
winstonrodrigue
Contributor IV

Hi Weidong,

Yes you are right. I just checked the Tablet schematics... Its using USB signals on mini PCIe connector. And It needs a External SIM card connector.

I found this one: http://www.option.com/product/gtm671wgtm679w/specifications

Looks like the same one. they have given Linux drivers too. Is it a good idea to go ahead with this one ? Or any better cards ?

Regards,

Winston.

0 Kudos
winstonrodrigue
Contributor IV

And these cards can be used just like any other USB 3G modems like MTS india, TAT Docomo right ??

So that we can use "wmvdial" tool to dial the connection ???

0 Kudos
weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,Winston,

You can get 3G datasheet that you want to use from manufacture, then upload it here, let me see and give you some advice.

In additon, Signal definitions on MiniPCIe connector are different for differenct manufacture, so you will have to check 3G's datasheet.

Just now, I saw you gave me link, that is a 3G module based on USB Host. you can use it.

Regards,

Weidong

0 Kudos