AnsweredAssumed Answered

GStreamer crashing on i.MX6 (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6x)

Question asked by jimheath on Feb 20, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 by Anuradha Ranasinghe
Branched to a new discussion

Hi Everyone,

I've been developing an application for the new Boundary Devices Nitrogen6x board running an i.MX6Q processor. I'm using the Timesys BSP, kernel version: 3.0.35-ts-armv7l-2026-geaaf30e (LinuxLink Development Center for Boundary Devices Nitrogen6X | Timesys Embedded Linux). The application relies on GStreamer 0.10.36 and gst-fsl-plugin for playing MPEG-2 transport stream files that are H.264 encoded.

I ran into a problem playing back files that are around 2GB or larger. If I use playbin2 for the GStreamer pipeline and specify a large video file, the pipeline transitions to the preroll state and appears to identify the elements needed to play the video, but then it just sits there. I don't see any video output, not even the first frame of the video and within 30 seconds the program crashes stating it ran out of memory. This happens regardless of whether I use my program or use the gst-launch command.

On the other hand, if I construct the following pipeline, the video plays fine:

gst-launch filesrc location=video.ts ! tsdemux name=demux demux. ! queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! vpudec ! mfw_v4lsink demux. ! queue max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! mfw_mp3decoder ! audioconvert ! 'audio/x-raw-int,channels=2' ! alsasink

The problem is, I would rather use playbin2 because it offers more flexibility. I have encountered certain video files that will not play back using the pipeline above, but will with playbin2. I have compared a video that does playback and one that does not using gst-discoverer and see no difference; both are transport streams and both are H.264 encoded.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to get playbin2 to play these large video files?

Thanks,

Jim

Outcomes