difference between zigbee stack(figure 8 wireless) to bee-stack (bee kit )

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between zigbee stack(figure 8 wireless) to bee-stack (bee kit )

ashushetty
Contributor I
Hi

i was working  on zigbee protocol and worked on Z-stack (figure8wireless) which is based zigbee specification 2004 and there was a product developed on it. now since zigbee 2006 spec got released we are planning to implement bee-stack on it. i wanted to know
1. how far there are changes in bee-stack to z-stack?
2. why there was new evolution of bee-stack , doesnt it make difficult for the users who already developed the z-stack?
3. is there any document which shows the differences between z-stack and bee-stack?
4. if i buy bee-stack from freescale wud i be getting any document which gives differences on both?

i know some of the basic differences like new GUI based approach is there and security stuffs and UART is been added.

but when is comes to the code/stack how it will affect a developer like me to develop on bee-stack ?

regards
ashwini
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

NLFSJ
Contributor III
Hi Ashwini,

The F8 Z-Stack is no longer supported for new customers. Our agreement with Figure 8 Wireless has been terminated so we can no longer distribute licenses for Z-Stack.   If you had the Z-Stack before August 4th, then you can continue to do development and ship products based on the Z-Stack.  The last version of Z-Stack we will support is 1.0-1.2.2. 

At no charge, you will be provided the appropriate number of BeeStack licenses based on the number of Z-Stack license purchased.   

BeeStack is Freescale's own ZigBee software stack and is almost ready for release in compliance with the new ZigBee 2006 specification

The BeeKit will  be included in all of the ZigBee development tool kits, including a 90-day evaluation version of BeeStack.  BeeStack is a licensed software ($995 one time license per architecture, $1495 floating license) and a full license will be included in the 13192EVK-SFTE and 1321xEVK-SFTW  

The Freescale BeeStack is supported by BeeKit which eases the implementation of the radio side of the design through a GUI interface that walks the designer through a series of questions to set up the radio.  That code can then be exported to the CodeWarrior IDE for MCU application development.  As well, the code may be imported back to BeeKit should the designer wish to make radio changes after or during their MCU application development.  The exporting of the code back and forth is a significant improvement by Freescale.

A new version of BeeKit is on the website (http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=BEEKIT_WIRELESS_CONNECTIVITY_TOOLKIT&parentCode=1321xEVK&nodeId=01J4Fs25657103). Near the bottom of the web page you will find "BeeKit Wireless Connectivity Toolkit Design Tools". You can download this version with BeeStack, including a 90-day evaluation license. The download includes all the documentation we have for BeeStack.

0 Kudos

ashushetty
Contributor I
hi

thank you for the reply. but still few of my concerns arent been answered ,

1. i have downloaded the 90 -day evaluation kit from ur website and installed and had a walk through of the code.there very nice documents on bee-stack , but no where they mention how it is different from z-stack??
u mean to say only tht GUI export and import in codewarrior is the only difference?

2.does the API's calls remain same in stack?

3.how i should proceed to port z-stack to bee-stack? i had used the "SERIALAPPLICATION" in z-stack and had gone ahead creating my own application with that where i was using a HOME_CONTROLS_STACK profile.

4. since we have a license for z-stack , we wud not be charged to buy bee-stack with same no. of licenses , are u sure on that front?

5. in order to port from z-stack to bee-stack with some medium application written , how much time would be required with how many resources?

regards
ashwini

0 Kudos

jhaee
Contributor I

hi ashwini,

I am in a bit the same situation as you with existing application that needs to change to the new stack - I don't have all the answers but here is what I know.

1..... but no where they mention how it is different from z-stack??
I don't know of any document that covers this subject.

u mean to say only tht GUI export and import in codewarrior is the only difference?

Definitely I can say that the answer is No- it is not only the GUI that is deferent!

2.does the API's calls remain same in stack?
In the sense that the API specifies what you can do with the stack, then you could say that they are similar. (Possibly a bit closer to the ZigBee specification)
if you mean the way the API is presented (the methods you have access through) then it is completely different. You will need to change the parts of your code where your application interacts with the stack. Also all of the supporting code; OS, HW drivers etc. have all changed.

3.how i should proceed to port z-stack to bee-stack? i had used the "SERIALAPPLICATION" in z-stack and had gone ahead creating my own application with that where i was using a HOME_CONTROLS_STACK profile.
Probably the WirelessUART or the GenericApp is your best bet

For the last 2 questions I have no answers other than IT WILL TAKE TIME AND RESOURCES,
but it should be worth the effort for future compatibility, also the architecture of the BeeStack should give better performance as for speed (the messages are not copied as much as the zstack did). I don't have much practical experience with it yet though.

regards
jhaee
0 Kudos

ashushetty
Contributor I
Thanks jhaee!
0 Kudos