DIY programmer wanted....versitile design preferred!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY programmer wanted....versitile design preferred!

jaydag71
Contributor I
 I have werked with the PIC's and AVR and also have a 68HC11 dev board, it is a bit dated now, but I still use it now and then, but as I am fairly new to the micro, am struggling with many aspects. I have a bunch of devices, many hc08,908 etc that I would like to be able to program. I ahev read a coupld of posts regarding the subject, and found that the chips can be programmed easily via serial and max232, but wonder if this werks for all versions, or just a couple? What about when I want to use hc12 devices? Any help with a good design, link whatever would be great!!!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

mke_et
Contributor IV
I picked up the USB-BDM module for use with a 9S12 design where I previously was using the BDM-Multilink that hooks on the LPT port.  It works, but it's a pain in that I have to give up an LPT port, and in the fact that on XP systems there's an undocumented 'poll' that can take place on the LPT port that messes things up.  Not that big a deal, as Metrowerks had a registry change that fixed that, but it wasn't just a matter of moving the pod to a different machine.

The reason I mention it is that the new USB-BDM pod is under $100 on the Freescale web site bundled with CW3.1SW for both the 12 and the 08 processors.  They bundle the 08 code since the USB-BDM supposedly supports MON08 for the 08 parts.  Well, mostly.  I'm using the KX08 in one of my designs, and oops, no go.  I did upgrade my developement for the KX08 part to the latest CW just to have a single base for my developement tools, and the LPT based MON08-Multilink works find on it.  (With that registry patch on XP machines, of course)

So, if you're choosing what chip to use for a design, check it out carefully as to what is applicable.  I would love to have had the power of the BDM to do my 08 project.  As it was, the MON08 was ok, but I was spoiled by what I did with the 9S12.  My 08 project works fine, but I had to do some 'tricks' with the design.  I ended up with a PCB the size of a credit card that has a 'card edge' on one end.  I plug in the board into a .156" socket to program it, pull the card out, then solder a jumper on the board to put it into use.  (I had to play a few games with how I did the interface to make it work.  By the way, it's a 'POCSAG encoder board that takes 'packets' from a serial port then interfaces directly to a radio for paging) 

0 Kudos

jaydag71
Contributor I
Ok, I also have a MC68HC912B32 eval board that I bought off of Ebay a while back, and wonder, that it came with a serial cable but no BDM cable?? Am I going to be able to write stuff to the chip using just this serial cable, or am I going to have to get/fashion a BDM?? I have only ever gotten to read so far using HyperTerminal, as it doesn't werk on my laptop because of the serial to USB conversion, and I also don't have any software even if it did work. To what does the BDM connect to, the programmer?
0 Kudos

freegeek
Contributor III
Yes you will need a to build a tBDMl this will allow you to debug and programme correctly.
0 Kudos

Nabla69
Contributor V
Hi,

You can use the MAX232 interface on all HC08. They all use the MON08 or MONITOR MODE interface.

For S12, you can use TBDML (Turbo BDM Light).

For S08, you cannot really use TBDML coz it's not fast enough or something like that. You need to use OS BDM.

HCS08, HC12 and HCS12 are all using the same kind of interface called BDM = Background Debug Module/Mode.
The cheap TBDML has some limitations, that's why the Open Source BDM was created.

The PCB of the OS BDM doesn't look as good and simple as for the TBDML, but I'm pretty sure someone highly dedicated will improve it soon.

Cheers,
Alvin.

0 Kudos