cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX RT1170 RMII connection

Jump to solution
Eugene3
Contributor II

I'm designing a schematic for RT1170 application board.

I'd like to connect an Ethernet phy device by RMII, so I refer to Table 61-66 in reference manual.

However I couldn't understand what pin I should connect to the CRS/DV pin of my ethernet phy device.

As far as I checked, I think "RX_DV" port should be connected to the CRS/DV pin of my ethernet phy device.  But I couldn't find ports corresponding to "RX_DV" on Table 11-1 in Chip IO chapter.

Eugene3_1-1701936256345.png

On the other hand, "RMII_CRS_DV" signal on Figure 60-21 looks the same as what I want to use.

However I couldn't find the port either on Table 11-1 in Chip IO chapter.

Eugene3_2-1701937022135.png

What pin should I connect to the CRS/DV pin of my ethernet phy device?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Eugene3,

The signal you are looking for is the ENET_RX_EN signal, which should be routed to GPIO_DISP_B2_08. This pin works as the CRS_DV pin in RMII mode, but also as RX_DV pin in the MII mode. This is why the naming scheme follows a more general "RX enable".

We can corroborate this on the MIMXRT1170-EVKB Schematic:

EdwinHz_0-1702324110851.pngEdwinHz_1-1702324117949.png

I hope this helps!

BR,
Edwin.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Eugene3
Contributor II

Hi @EdwinHz 

Thank you for your information.

I understand I'll connect ENET_RX_EN signal for CRS_DV.

But how can I know ENET_RX_EN port plays the role of CRS_DV in RMII mode from reference manual? 

Once I searched "RX_EN" in reference manual, I found RX_EN is for only RGMII on Table 61-66. It's confusing.

"RX_EN" and  "ENET_RX_EN" have different meanings, right?

Eugene3_1-1702346995973.png

0 Kudos
EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Eugene3,

RX_EN and RX_DV are the same signals. The Reference Manual tries to separate them for different interface naming schemes, but as you can see, the RX_EN signal contains the RX_DV.

EdwinHz_3-1702414729178.png

Anyhow, merging the RX_EN and RX_DV has been proposed for a better understanding of this signal. You can consider the table as follows:

EdwinHz_1-1702414186497.png

Finally, RX_EN is the name of the signal from the ENET module, while ENET_RX_EN is the name that refers to the pad that drives the RX_EN signal from the module. For all intents and purposes they are the same.

I understand the current state of the documentation can cause confusion about this topic, and I apologize for that. This issue has already been reported internally but the documentation change is yet to be implemented on a future release of the RT1170 Manual. For now, I hope I cleared things up about this issue.

BR,
Edwin.

0 Kudos
Eugene3
Contributor II

Hi @EdwinHz 

Thank you for your kind reply.

I understand and wait the document to be updated.

0 Kudos
EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Eugene3,

The signal you are looking for is the ENET_RX_EN signal, which should be routed to GPIO_DISP_B2_08. This pin works as the CRS_DV pin in RMII mode, but also as RX_DV pin in the MII mode. This is why the naming scheme follows a more general "RX enable".

We can corroborate this on the MIMXRT1170-EVKB Schematic:

EdwinHz_0-1702324110851.pngEdwinHz_1-1702324117949.png

I hope this helps!

BR,
Edwin.

0 Kudos