cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dev_cdc_vnic_freertos with modified NXP rndis.inf driver

Jump to solution
JamesNgo
Contributor III

We need to modify device info (strings & VID/PID) in the rndis.inf driver. However windows appears to detect the modified driver as being tampered. Pls let us know how to resolve this issue. Thanks.

JamesNgo_0-1642810594423.png

; Modify these strings for your device as needed.
[Strings]
COMPANY="123"
RNDISDEV="123 USB RNDIS"

[RndisDevices.NTx86]
%RNDISDEV% = RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\VID_1FC9&PID_0095

; Decoration for x64 architecture
[RndisDevices.NTamd64]

; Decoration for ia64 architecture
[RndisDevices.NTia64]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @JamesNgo ,
According to the AE's reply, the RNDIS driver needs to be re-signed if the information changes in the .inf file. The signing method can refer to the readme.pdf in the RNDIS demo. About getting a signing certificate, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/get-a-code-signing-certificate
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JamesNgo
Contributor III

Test setup on Windows 10, SDK 2.10.0 & RT1020 EVK. Tried it  with virus scan disabled with same error result.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Sorry for the reply late and I basically replicate the issue you mentioned.
Just as the error message reveals, the modified inf can't pass the authentication process when installing the driver, in another word, the Window OS considers that the inf is not trusted.

2022-01-26_18-24-54.png

I guess that the rndis.cat also needs to be updated, but I have no idea how to do it and you may need to ask some driver development engineer for help.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
JamesNgo
Contributor III

Hi TIC, by any chance you can get the  help from driver development to resolve the rndis.cat issue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @JamesNgo ,
According to the AE's reply, the RNDIS driver needs to be re-signed if the information changes in the .inf file. The signing method can refer to the readme.pdf in the RNDIS demo. About getting a signing certificate, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/get-a-code-signing-certificate
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

JamesNgo
Contributor III

Thanks for your help. However, the driver resigning or usage may be not desirable for our design at this point.

After some research regarding RNDIS USB (configuration-wise) information, I believe the USB configuration could be made to be "Remote NDIS Compatible Device" that is auto-detected by Windows when plugged in; hence the driver could then be not needed.  I'm wondering if there's any info or development work you have available to achieve this as I think that'd be best use case for a generic code sample. Please let me know. Thanks.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @JamesNgo ,

Okay, I'll try.

BR,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @JamesNgo ,

Sorry for reply late, as Chinese New Year holidays has not ended.
I'll update my reply after I go back to office at Feb 7th.
Thanks for your understand.

BR,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
To be prudent, I was wondering if you can introduce your testing environment, such as versions of Window OS and SDK library.

Furthermore, did you turn off antivirus during the testing?

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos