XIP from FLEXSPI A1 and Filesystem on A2

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIP from FLEXSPI A1 and Filesystem on A2

max3
Contributor I

I have a 1064 board that I would like to migrate to a 106X chip without the 2MB internal flash storage. It currently has two NOR flash chips, one on FLEXSPI(0) A1 and one on A2. When the program is in the internal flash which is FLEXSPI2, I believe, I can access both NOR flash chips for persistent storage.

I then took this board and put a 1062 chip on it instead. However, It seems the rom bootloader doesn't allow me to have both of these chips installed on the board which I suspect is due to the fact it does not control the chip selects properly. If I have both, the flashed program doesn't boot, if I remove the chip that is controlled by FLEXSPI_A_SS1_B, the chip boots fine. Is this the case? Can I not XIP from A1 and use A2 at the same time?

If this is the case, would I be able to move the chip I use for the filesystem to FLEXSPI_B or do I have to move it completely to FLEXSPI_2 A or B?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
Regarding i.MX RT106x, it can't boot from the QSPI flash that not connect to FLEXSPI_A_SS0_B.
Next, I'd like to use the FlexSPI_2 to connect another QSPI flash for the datastore, as it'll be independent with the boot QSPI flash and it's more easily to make it.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

max3
Contributor I

I think you misunderstood my question. I am aware that you can only boot of FLEXSPI A1. However, my question is if there is any way to also have a nor flash on FLEXSPI A2 that does not interfere with the boot process. From what I can tell, there is no way for the rom bootloader to know that a chip exists on FLEXSPI A2 so it doesn't control the chip select lines. This causes my board to fail to boot if A1 and A2 are installed. 

And to my other question, as you didn't answer it either, can I install a nor flash on FLEXSPIA1 and FLEXSPIB1 and have no issues? Meaning can I boot from FLEXSPIA1 while another nor flash is on FLEXSPIB1. I understand I can just move the nor flash to FLEXSPI2 A1,2 or B1,2 but I'm trying to get a clear answer here.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your explanation.
1) It seems a bit weird, the ROM bootloader process should be independent of another flash that connects the FLEXSPI A2.
2) I understand I can just move the nor flash to FLEXSPI2 A1,2 or B1,2 but I'm trying to get a clear answer here.
-- In my opinion, I'd like to suggest to share a block diagram of the connecting QSPI, as it can help me to figure out.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos