Using only the internal memory of mimxrt1170 board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using only the internal memory of mimxrt1170 board

amira
Contributor II

Hello, on the documentation I found that by default it is the external QSPI memory that is used for flashing the board mimxrt1170-evkb, in my case I want to use the internal memory and activate the execute in place, is it possible to do this? If yes, may you provide me the steps to do it ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Masmiseim
Senior Contributor I

Hello @amira,

the iMXRT Family is flashles. So you need to place your code in some kind of external flash.

Regards

0 Kudos

amira
Contributor II
okay thank you!
How can I avoid using the SDRAM? I need to do the XIP on flash memory.
0 Kudos

Habib_MS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @amira ,

In order to support you better, could you please provide me with the IDE and version you are currently using?

I understand that your intention is to use the flash that comes pre-installed on the EVKB (W25Q512NWEIQ), if this is the case, you can use it executing in XIP mode by following this application note (How to Enable Debugging for FLEXSPI NOR Flash (nxp.com)). Additionally, you can get more information about XIP in the reference manual, under chapter 30.3.18 called "Execute-In-Place (XIP) enhanced mode".

BR,
Habib.

0 Kudos

amira
Contributor II

Thank you, I use the code generated by guiguider V1.7.2 and modify it on MCUXPRESSO v11.9.0 with SDK V2.15.0 .

0 Kudos

Habib_MS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello again @amira ,

In order to use the external flash that comes preinstalled on the EVKB you need to add two macros called XIP_EXTERNAL_FLASH and XIP_BOOT_HEADER_ENABLE. When you make a new project, these macros are not enabled by default, but can be added to the project as follows:

Habib_Melchor_Santos_0-1715815390350.png

These macros are necessary so that the memories can be configured properly. The following image shows the different functionality states of these macros:

Habib_Melchor_Santos_1-1715815390352.png

The last image was taken by the application note that I provided, if you need get more information you can consult it.

Also, if you experience any issue, do not hesitate to let me know.

BR,

Habib.

0 Kudos

amira
Contributor II

Thanks for your feedback!

My intent is to boot from the QSPI flash memory witch I think is the case by default!

0 Kudos