Using Freelink MIMXRT1170-EVK kit interface to program/debug a RT1052's custom kit

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Freelink MIMXRT1170-EVK kit interface to program/debug a RT1052's custom kit

Jump to solution
eng08hry
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a MIMXRT1170-EVK devkit with its circuit isolation jumpers for the target microcontroller. I have another I.MX RT1052 custom devkit that only contains the connector for the JTAG probe, and I wanted to use the Freelink interface from the RT1170 kit.

The idea is to be able to test a kit that does not contain the built-in interface for building a customized board. There is an open topic on the community with the similar question, but, even though it was on a different devkit than mine, I tried to follow the tutorial, but I still wasn't successful (Link of topic). When I don't connect the Reset pin to rt1052 kit, the MCUXpresso IDE identifies the probe (even though, when activating the debug, other errors appear), but the opposite doesn't work.

The file containing the Freelink MIMXRT1170-EVK interface I am referring to is attached (SPF-32171_C3, pag. 26). The JTAG connector of rt1052 custom kit is below:

eng08hry_0-1715792145650.png

Also, the rt1052 devkit contains SWD connectors, if this can help with that.

eng08hry_1-1715792714037.png

How can I connect the isolation jumpers to another kit that only contains the connector for the JTAG probe?
Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @eng08hry ,

Thank you for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide serivce for you.

As I know, the EVK on board debugger is not designed for the external chip, to the EVK, it can use the external debugger, or the on board debugger.

But to the on board debugger, it can't disconnect the on board chip, so, you can't use it to program the external MCU.

So, I highly recommend you find a specific debugger, eg, Segger JLINK, or the NXP MCU-LINK Pro:

https://www.nxp.com/design/design-center/software/development-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools...

That will make things more easy.

If you must to use the EVK on board debugger to program the extenral board, you may need to remove the on board RT chip, I don't think that is a good choice.

So, still recommend you use the external debugger to program your customer RT1050 kit.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question about it, please kindly let me know.

If your question is solved, please help me to mark the correct answer, just to close this case, thanks.

Any new issues, welcome to create the new question post, thanks.

Best Regards,

kerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @eng08hry ,

Thank you for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide serivce for you.

As I know, the EVK on board debugger is not designed for the external chip, to the EVK, it can use the external debugger, or the on board debugger.

But to the on board debugger, it can't disconnect the on board chip, so, you can't use it to program the external MCU.

So, I highly recommend you find a specific debugger, eg, Segger JLINK, or the NXP MCU-LINK Pro:

https://www.nxp.com/design/design-center/software/development-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools...

That will make things more easy.

If you must to use the EVK on board debugger to program the extenral board, you may need to remove the on board RT chip, I don't think that is a good choice.

So, still recommend you use the external debugger to program your customer RT1050 kit.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question about it, please kindly let me know.

If your question is solved, please help me to mark the correct answer, just to close this case, thanks.

Any new issues, welcome to create the new question post, thanks.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos