cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to enable SWO trace on I.MX RT 1050

nxp34438
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have installed MCUXpressoIDE 10.2.0 and have SDK 2.3.1. I'm able to connect to the board using USB and can debug the demo hello world function. However, I'm unable to add SWO trace. Please refer to the attached picture to see what I mean. Am I missing anything? My end goal is to profile our application (measure cycle consumption and identify the top functions) on the board.

Labels (2)
6 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

According to the MCUXpresso IDE LinkServer SWO Trace Guide , the SWO Trace only available with LPC-Link2 debug probes.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/quick-reference-guide/MCUXpresso_IDE_SWO_Trace.pdf 

nxp34438
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have connected the Link2 via the USB to the PC and using JTAG to RT 1050. J1 is open, J2 is closed on Link2. I tried debugging the hello world application now. I see the following error:

02: Failed on connect
02: Failed on connect
Could not connect to core.
31: No connection to chip's debug port
Debugging context: evkbimxrt1050_demo_apps_hello_world LinkServer Debug

Am I supposed to change any jumper setting on RT 1050? I'm still using the out-of-box jumper configuration.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

For the details about the jumpers on RT1050EVK board, please read the MIMXRT1050 EVK Board Hardware User’s Guide and the schematic IMXRT1050-EVKB Design files for A1 Silicon .

If you want to use the JTAG port, I think you need to remove the jumpers J29-J33 for disconnecting the OpenSDA.

For you reference, I found the rework information about SWO trace function in another third party development board. I think you can try the same idea on RT1050EVK.

https://www.embeddedartists.com/sites/default/files/support/oem/iMXRT1052/iMX_RT1052_Developers_Kit_...   (on page 23 and 24)

0 Kudos

nxp34438
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What is the power rating of J2 on RT 1050? I can see that it needs a 5V DC, but can't find the current rating.

0 Kudos

nxp34438
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I removed J2 on the Link2 and powered the RT1050 using USB. With this, I'm able to debug, but I still can't see the profiling option. I still see a screen similar to the attached SWOTrace.jpg.

Repeated this with an external power supply and the result is the same.

0 Kudos

nxp34438
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Removing J29-J33 hasn't helped. I see the same error.

Regarding the final link you have provided, are you suggesting that I try removing J2 on the Link2? If yes, should the RT1050 be powered by USB?

0 Kudos