cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI availability on i.MX rt1170

Nishantt
Contributor II

Hello, 

We are planning to use i.MX RT1170 in one of our project and I wanted to know about the SPI availability on i.MX RT1170 as we are going to use SPI for Camera interface. We wanted to connect two SPI Camera interface. 

So, Please let me know that it is possible to connect two SPI camera module to iMXRT1170 or not. 

Also I am interested to know that how many maximum camera I can connect to  iMXRT1170 over SPI.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Miguel04
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Nishantt 

The i.MXRT1170 has 6 SPI interfaces available, if your application only requires 2 cameras you will not have any issue regarding the compatibility.

Also I am interested to know that how many maximum camera I can connect to  iMXRT1170  over SPI.

It's complicated to calculate exactly how many can be supported, each SPI interfaces can be configured to have more than one ChipSelect pin and the iMXRT1170 has 2 FlexIO interfaces which can simulate SPI communication.

Is there a particular amount of cameras you would like to use? 

Best Regards, Miguel.

0 Kudos

Nishantt
Contributor II

Hello Miguel,

Thank you for reply.

I wanted to know that can we connect Dual SPI Mode to i.MXRT1170 normal SPI pins?

Our Camera has below SPI pinouts, so we require the Dual SPI Mode interface.

1. CLK
2. D0 (MOSI)
3. D1 (MISO)
4. CS

Thank You.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Miguel04
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Nishantt 

What do you mean with Dual SPI Mode, are you refering to a half duplex or full duplex communication?

The iMXRT1170's LPSPI module feature both modes according to the reference manual Chapter 70.2.2 Features

However, the examples on the SDK, uses different pins for Serial Data Input and Serial Data Output.

Miguel04_0-1697740991278.png

Best Regards, Miguel.

Nishantt
Contributor II

Hello Miguel,

We are going to use Half Duplex in Dual SPI mode. 

How many Dual SPI mode does iMXRT1170 supports? 
As we are planning to connect maximum 4 dual SPI based cameras to iMXRT1170. 

I also wanted to know that can we use Cascading in Dual SPI Mode? So, it will reduce the total SPI requirements. 

Let me know if you required any other information. 

Thank You.

0 Kudos

Miguel04
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Nishantt 

Sorry for the inconvenience, I'm not understanding your question, is there a possibility for you to share with me a connection diagram and which camera you are using?

You said your pins are

CLK, MOSI, MISO, CLK. These connections are for normal SPI.

I've found this post that could possibly help you.

Dual SPI

Also, the iMXRT1170, supports MIPI CSI (Camera Serial Inteface) which can help you with the connection of the cameras.

Best Regards, Miguel.

0 Kudos

Nishantt
Contributor II

Hello @Miguel04,

Sure, No problem. Please find below more detailed explanation to understand my question.

We are planning to use GC032A VGA CMOS Image Sensor based camera module. 
This are the pins in Camera module:

Nishantt_0-1698210379515.png

I understand the MISO MOSI are used in simple SPI mode, but as per my knowledge MISO and MOSI will work as a D0 and D1 data lines for Dual SPI Mode. For make it more clear please find below Image about Dual SPI mode for your reference. 

Nishantt_1-1698211095984.png

Thank You. 

0 Kudos

Miguel04
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Nishantt 

Thank you for the information, it was very usefull.

According to the documentation it should be possible to use the LPSPI as half duplex in dual spi mode, to find reference and information regarding this, look into the reference manual. chapters:

70.4 Signal descriptions

70.2.2 Features

However we do not provide any examples for this application, I apolize for the inconvenience.

Best Regards, Miguel.

0 Kudos