cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT117x: Image Index (or Version) explaination

mastupristi
Senior Contributor I

Hi,
I'm dealing with the Image Index, which on Secure Provisioning Tool is called Image Version.

A popup appears on Secure Provisioning Tool that says:

A version of the bootable image. It is defined in 4 bytes, the lower 2 bytes are the real image version number, and the upper 2 bytes are the inverted value of the lower 2 bytes image version, for example, 0xFFFE0001 for version 1. Either the complete 4 bytes value or the real image version number is expected.
Value 0xFFFFFFFF is also a valid image version, but with the lowest boot sequence. The image with the higher image version is booted first when the dual image boot is configured.

mastupristi_0-1717576442851.png

I need you to explain the phrase: “Either the complete 4 bytes value or the real image version number is expected”. Does it mean that even just the lower part of the 32-bit word is enough, and it is not checked that it corresponds with the inverted upper part?

Also I tested two images, at offset 0 Image Version 0xFFFE0001, while the other image has Image Version 0xFFFD0002. The image started by the ROM bootloader is the second one (as expected). Then I replace the first image with one having Image Version 0xFFFFFFFF. I would expect the second to continue to be booted because it is written "Value 0xFFFFFFFF is also a valid image version, but with the lowest boot sequence. The image with the higher image version is booted first". But the ROM bootloader starts the first. Is there something I am missing?

best regards

Max

0 Kudos
2 Replies

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mastupristi 

Thank you for reaching out and for your patience. I am  checking internally the discrepancy that you are reporting. 

I think your test scenario where you had below dual image setup

Image Offset Image version
L 0x0 0xFFFFFFFF
H 0x00200000 0xFFFE0002

and your result was that image L was booted , instead image  H with the higher version, can be explained with the below note 

diego_charles_0-1719007933220.png

This means that ROM bootloader used redundant boot, and not dual image boot.

Lets check together the SPT comments regarding the inverted upper bits . Which image is booted if you set as below?

Image Offset Image version
L 0x0 0xFFFE0002
H 0x00200000 0x00000003

Is image H be booted first on your side?

Thanks for bringing this report.

Diego

0 Kudos

mastupristi
Senior Contributor I

Hi@diego_charles 

I am currently out of the office until at least July 1, so I can't test what you are asking for until then.

and your result was that image L was booted , instead image  H with the higher version, can be explained with the below note 

mastupristi_0-1719303783860.png

This means that ROM bootloader used redundant boot, and not dual image boot.

I have two questions about this:

1. In which document do I find this note?
  2. What is redundant boot and where can I find it documented?

best regards

Max

0 Kudos