cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1172 does not boot on Power up

ingdb
Contributor III

Hello all,

we have a custom board based on the RT1172. When using the GUI FLash tool (with "Reset target on execution") or in debug mode the program is booting and working as expected. But when powering up the board I don't see any boot reaction. The XIP_BOOT_HEADER_ENABLE define is set to 1, the IVT should be added to the image. Does anyone have an idea how to debug such a problem?

By the way, we have another very similar design based on the RT1176, this board is booting as expected with (as far as we see) the same configuration as the RT1172 board.

best regards

Matthias

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ingdb ,

Which debugger you are using now?

I suggest you use the JLINK to connect your RT1172 board at first, whether you can find the ARM core or not? If not, it means the hardware have issues.

If yes, you can download the RAM code to the chip, check whether it works, until it works, then you can check wether it can download to the flash or not, then also you need to check the BOOT_CFG, BOOT_MODE pin, make sure the boot_cfg meet your used flash requirement, and the boot_mode should be the internal boot mode, not the serial download mode.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

ingdb
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

thanks for your help but we don't have hardware problems, the board is booting but only when debugging with J-Link, it's not booting when powering up the board. Boot mode is configured as internal boot mode with FlexSPI1, Q-SPI, NOR-FLASH

Best regards

Matthias

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ingdb ,

Thanks for your updated information.

You mentioned:  the board is booting

How do you think it is booting, with other debugger not the JLINK?

Do you try to download with the SPT or the MCUbootUtilityt tool, use the tool to download the app, whether that boot or not?

I am also thinging, whether your project is correct for the RT1172 or not? If hardware not issues, then you also need to check the software.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

ingdb
Contributor III
Hi,

when downloading a program over J-Link (I never tried any other debugger) the board is working, the application is running, USB is working etc. everything is as expected. 

So no software and no hardware issues on my board. 

But when powering up the board and not using J-Link to download and start the program, the application got stuck at 0x223104. (see my comment below).
I did not try any other boot utilities than JTAG, as the software is running I am assuming the flash to be correctly programmed as I am using XIP.
best regards
Matthias
0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ingdb ,

Thank you for your updated information.

Still need more clear about your issues.

1. when downloading a program over J-Link (I never tried any other debugger) the board is working, the application is running, USB is working etc. everything is as expected. 

=>kerry: when this method downloading, with IDE or not? Or just the JLINK commander or the Jflash to download the application?

What's the application project you are using? Whether the same app as the issue debug project?

2. But when powering up the board and not using J-Link to download and start the program, the application got stuck at 0x223104

=>Kerry: if not use JLINK to download, do you mean, still use JLINK, just use JLINK debug with the MCUXPresso IDE meet the issues? 

What's the project you are using? The working app which download with JLINK to confirm it is working?

3. 0x223104 is the ROM address, I think you can try to deselect the reset in the project, debug configuration.

The following blog also demostrate it:

https://www.cnblogs.com/henjay724/p/15725966.html

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

ingdb
Contributor III

When examining the not booting target after Power up I see it got stuck here

ingdb_1-1691877529486.png

0 Kudos