cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MXRT500 MCU AND MXRT595-EVK - Deep Sleep

justinbdaniel
Contributor I

Hi,

I am a research student from Kochi, and I am evaluating the NXP-MXRT 595-EVK Board, Can I put the EVK Board which has the RT595 Chip to sleep?

Is RT500 MCU required, if so when is the RT500 MCU required? and can I test the RT595 Chip without the RT500MCU?

Further I couldnt find any documentation on how to put the EVK board to sleep, BT modes and CC measurement.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @justinbdaniel,

Good to hear our micros are being used for research. Let me clarify some things so you can move forward with your application. The MIMXRT595-EVK is the evaluation board for development of applications using any MCU of the the i.MX-RT500 family. When you buy the board, a RT595 will come preassembled on your EVK, but it supports other variants as well.

That said, the board only functions as an extension of the MCU, so the i.MX RT itself is what you would put into sleep, not the board. For more information about how to use the RT500 chip, please refer to the i.MX RT500 Reference Manual. Specifically, chapter 8 goes into more information on how to put the MCU on low power modes.

Let me know if this helps!
Edwin.

0 Kudos

justinbdaniel
Contributor I

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, could you pls explain me more regarding the difference between the EVK-Board and the Host MCU, or as in your document Crossover MCU's

Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @justinbdaniel,

Of course. The i.MX-RT500 is the family of Crossover MCU variants which include the RT533, RT555 and RT595. (BTW, you can find the differences between variants on this table). Buying these will get you a chip, but the PCB to mount the chip to route its connections will have to be done via a custom board designed by you.

On the other hand, the MIMXRT595-EVK is an evaluation board we provide that already includes memories, sensors, connectors and a debugger, which allows you to quickly get going on the development process of your specific application, and program the RT500 as well as connect it to other devices. This EVK supports all of the RT500, but the RT595 is the one we provide with it since it is the most complete. This is the reason why the EVK is called MIMXRT595-EVK.

I hope this helps,
Edwin.

0 Kudos

justinbdaniel
Contributor I

Thanks Edwin,

Now when I put the BT+WiFi Module in deep sleep (the module I am using it Murata M2 type and I am interfacing with the MXRT-595) now when the module is in deep sleep, from where can I measure its current consumption of the module when the module is at deep sleep state. is it from the EVK or from the module? is there any specific pin?

Module used : 1ZM M.2 Module - Embedded Artists

Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @justinbdaniel,

The measurement of the current consumption of the Murata Module would be measured on the module itself. However, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tell you what pins work for that, since the module itself is made by a third party. I would contact the module maker (in this case Embedded Artist) for more information about this.

BR,
Edwin.

0 Kudos

justinbdaniel
Contributor I

Hi @EdwinHz 

Thanks in advance Edwin, this would be a great help if you could find out how to measure the current consumption, I myself had contacted embedded artists contact page but there is no reply from them.

Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @justinbdaniel,

I'm sorry but my area of expertise is under the i.MX RT MCU, not the WIFI modules. You could also ask on the Wireless Connectivity forum and one of my colleagues could help you providing more information about how to measure current of the module you mention.

Thank you for understanding.

BR,
Edwin.

0 Kudos