MIMXRT1060-EVKB: M.2 WiFi/Bluetooth card + microSD?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIMXRT1060-EVKB: M.2 WiFi/Bluetooth card + microSD?

Jump to solution
recyclebin
Contributor I

My company has purchased a number of MIMXRT1060-EVK (non-"B" version) boards for development/testing (using FreeRTOS).

All we have needed up to this point is Ethernet, so the EVK was fine. However, there is now a requirement to add WiFi and Bluetooth.

I see there are well-supported microSD-to-M.2 boards (for example, the Murata LBEE0ZZ1WE-uSD-M2), which then allow use of M.2 WiFi/Bluetooth cards.
However, we also do not want to lose use of the microSD for persistent file storage on a microSD flash card.

So I've been looking at the MIMXRT1060-EVKB, which has a native M.2 connector. The MIMXRT1060-EVKB User Manual says this:

MIMXRT1060-EVKB supports M.2/NGFF Key E mini card 75-pin connector, J8. The M.2 mini card connector supports I2C, I2S, UART, GPIO, and optionally USB connections. The connector can be used for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card.

The MCUXpresso SDK examples seem to support WiFi/Bluetooth cards inserted into either a microSD-to-M.2 adapter or native M.2 (presumably for the EVKB).

My main question is:

• Will using WiFi and Bluetooth on the EVKB (with card inserted into the native M.2 connector) prevent using the microSD at the same time?

Secondary question:

• Can Wifi and Bluetooth be used at the same time on the EVK (with microSD-to-M.2 converter) and EVKB (using the native M.2 slot)?
    • The SDK has WiFi examples, and Bluetooth examples, but as far as I can see there aren't any examples showing both of them being used at the same time.

Thank you very much for helping clear up these questions (prior to committing to purchasing some EVKB boards along with supported WiFi/Bluetooth cards).

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DanielRuvalcaba
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

My name is Daniel and I will be happy to help you.

After looking through the Hardware Rework Guide for EdgeFast BT PAL and the RT1060-EVKB schematic, it seems that it is not possible to have both M2 interface and uSD working in parallel since they share the same path, you’ll have to decide which one to disable. You can also find these files in your SDK bundle (…\SDK_2_13_0_MIMXRT1060-EVKB\docs\wireless\Bluetooth) and in this link.

DanielRuvalcaba_0-1674514978022.png

I’d recommend you to take a look to the NXP-Wireless-Features-and-Release-Notes-for-i.MX-RT document for more information about your queries (…\SDK_2_13_0_MIMXRT1060-EVKB\docs\wireless\Release Notes).

I really hope this helps.

Best regards, Daniel.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
recyclebin
Contributor I

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Just today I also realized that those SDIO signals were shared on the EVKB - should have looked more closely at the schematic to begin with.

I apologize for posting this question before fully studying the design docs, release notes, and SDK examples.

I do not know what the etiquette is for "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".  Even though there is no "solution" for this (using both SD card and WiFi at the same time), you did answer my question.

0 Kudos
DanielRuvalcaba
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I´m glad to hear that.

The ACCEPT AS SOLUTION button can also mean that your questions or any other query was answered. This helps other people to find useful information in our community.

Best regards, Daniel.

0 Kudos
DanielRuvalcaba
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

My name is Daniel and I will be happy to help you.

After looking through the Hardware Rework Guide for EdgeFast BT PAL and the RT1060-EVKB schematic, it seems that it is not possible to have both M2 interface and uSD working in parallel since they share the same path, you’ll have to decide which one to disable. You can also find these files in your SDK bundle (…\SDK_2_13_0_MIMXRT1060-EVKB\docs\wireless\Bluetooth) and in this link.

DanielRuvalcaba_0-1674514978022.png

I’d recommend you to take a look to the NXP-Wireless-Features-and-Release-Notes-for-i.MX-RT document for more information about your queries (…\SDK_2_13_0_MIMXRT1060-EVKB\docs\wireless\Release Notes).

I really hope this helps.

Best regards, Daniel.

0 Kudos