IMXRT1021EVK FlexSPI boot configuration

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMXRT1021EVK FlexSPI boot configuration

aare_tali
Contributor I

I'm trying to figure out FlexSPI boot configuration for IMXRT1021EVK board using iled_blinky example. It works, I just don't understand why.

I'm using MCUXpresso 11.0.1, this is the last version I tried that works on Windows 7, it recognizes all JLINK, ULINK and EVK built-in JTAG adapters that are connected at same time. 11.5.1 and newer versions fail to detect any adapters on Windows 7.

All example sources use flexspi_nor_config_t structure to define the setup. It implies that the QSPI chip is a serial NOR flash. The chip IS25LP064A data sheet doesn't even mention whether the chip is NOR or NAND. How do I know which chip type it is and if the type is properly selected?

IMX1021 RM table 9-15 specifies that device type is 1 for NOR, 2 for NAND. The code with 11.0.1 leaves the field at 0. Why does it work? For comparison, 11.7.1 sets this field to SerialNOR which is understandable, assuming the chip is Serial NOR which the flash data sheet refuses to mention.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

aare_tali
Contributor I

Thanks for the link, this answers my first question, about what kind of serial flash is on the 1021EVK board. However, the second question 'why does it work with value 0 if reference manual says it should be 1 or 2' is still not answered. The screenshot in your reply is probably from Xpresso 11.5 or 11.7 or something, I use 11.0.1 and the structure initializer does not have value for the deviceType field. And yet it works, the LED is blinking just fine.

I can't use 11.5 or newer because it does not work on Windows 7, but at least I can look at the sources supplied with 11.7 and make similar changes in 11.0.1.

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, I will review that information could you tell me what is the version of your SDK? I know you have the IDE 11.0.1. And I installed that version on my PC. 

Pavel_Hernandez_0-1692743637325.png

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

aare_tali
Contributor I

SDK is 2.6.1 (236 2019-07-03). Definitely not the latest. But this is not my point. One point was 'is this chip NAND or NOR?', and it was resolved. My second point was 'if manual says value should be either 1 or 2, why does 0 work?'

I downloaded SDK 2.14, in there the flash chip type is set correctly to SerialNOR. I can't use this SDK directly because 11.0.1 refuses to accept it. The manifest suggests mcuexpresso version should be 1.8 but I can't use this version. Which is fine. The SDK 2.6 works well enough, and I can compare relevant sources and update my project manually.

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, there is some method to notify the MCU there is a NOR memory, the Auto Enable which reads the parameters of the memory.

The other way is with the bootf_cfg or the FCB and the offset coincides with the FCB.

Solved: Re: What is "FCB" in boot image explanation? - NXP Community

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, I apologize if this may cause an inconvenience, I only want to confirm, Let me research more information about this question.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, I reviewed your information and I find in the page of the vendor they have section of NOR and NAND, Flash Products - Integrated Silicon Solution Inc. (issi.com).

Pavel_Hernandez_0-1692648749873.png

On the configuration, the type enum, there is not the 0.

Pavel_Hernandez_1-1692648796806.png

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, my name is Pavel, and I will be supporting your case, let me get into your case and when I have more information, I will contact you.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos