cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting mjpeg data from mipi-csi2 in rt1176-evk

mxgok
Contributor I

Hi,

For an ongoing project, for time/data constraints we want to xfer mjpeg/jpeg image data from our camera sensor. Camera sensor supports output of many data formats YUV422, YUV420, 888RGB, 565RGB, 555RGB, JPEG, RAW8, RAW10, RAW12, MJPEG .  CSI2 RX receiver core on Soc 

receives raw data formats as listed below. We are thinking of sending jpeg data in user defined data format. Is there any sample project/previous solution involving this situation? In sdk, i couldnt find any example related. maybe there maybe in other imxrtxxx soc. Is there a ready solution for this problem involving jpeg data xfer from mipi-csi2?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

mxgok_0-1653380806654.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies

sincedere
Contributor I

Hello @kerryzhou 

Can we get MJPEG or JPEG format through parallel CMOS inputs for RT1176? 

0 Kudos

Abisheikv2
Contributor III

Hi @mxgok , You can't  get MJPEG data properly from sensor in iMXRT1176 series. This is because of a bug in the MIPI -CSI module. Refer to this thread https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/iMXRT1176-MIPI-CSI2-to-UVC-reducing-the-frame-buffer-s-size/m-p...

mxgok
Contributor I

Hi Abisheikv2,

Thanks for your comment and time allocation for the answer. Dou you mean that mipi-csi2 rx digital logic inside rt1176 is not capable of supporting various formats except RGB565 and UYVY . Is there bug in the digital logic or software driver doesnt support this tansfer? The csi controller supports many formats including user define data format that we ant to make use of it to transfer jepg/mjpeg data already compressed in our camera module? I will be happy if you can sahre your experiences about. I will also share the result of our trials for the problem.

Kind reagrds... 

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mxgok ,

You can check these application note which may useful to you:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12562.pdf

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13205.pdf

And some code in the sdk:

\SDK_2_11_1_MIMXRT1170-EVK\boards\evkmimxrt1170\display_examples

Eg.sd_jpeg

We don't have MJPEG code, so, suggest you save the jpeg and use it.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

mxgok
Contributor I

Hi kerryzhou,

Thanks for your comments. I want to clear the issue to avoid misunderstanding. We want to get the compressed data directly from the camera module via MİPİ-CS2 rx digital logic inside rt1176 . Our hw guys have chosen a camera module that has image compressor and sends image data  compressed data format in jpeg/mjpeg format. It can also send the data in raw formats of course but to save power and time, they want to make use of this jpeg compression capability in the camera module for power consumption constraints.  

You have given a suggestion on the problem for giving examples on various sdk. But in the examples the jpeg data is read from sdcard and then decoded with a software library  into raw format we process afterwards. The thing is that we dont want to use any software encoding/decoding if possible. Because camera module already encodes the image data to jpeg ,after this conversion we want to  transfer this data directly like a "user defined data".  How can we use mipi-csi2 rx module for "user defined data" format so that we can send data as "user defined data" format?

Kind regards...

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mxgok ,

I have already helped you check with our expert.

The RT1176 MIPI-CSI2 can't support the MJPEG and JPEG, so even your camera module can support the related format, the MIPI-CSI2 can't support it.

Our expert said, the following yellow part will be removed from the RM in the future:

kerryzhou_0-1653621444932.png

So, maybe you still need to use the normal format from the camera, then do the software encoding for JPEG.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos