cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSS section too large

florian_fouille
Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I'm using the MIMXRT1064-EVK with the MCUXpresso IDE (v11.0.0 [Build 2516] [2019-06-05]) for a project.

I'm facing a memory issue when the linker is invoked. Apparently the BSS section is too large and I don't have enough RAM.

this is the memory details:

pastedImage_2.png

and this is the current issue i'm facing:

pastedImage_3.png

I have a huge BSS section. I'm working on a large project with FreeRTOS and lwip enabled. Since the linked can't be completed I can't run a size on the executable to show you the BSS section. I put in attachment my *.ld files.

My questions are:

• Regarding my memory details can I increase the RAM space and how?
  • Is there anything you can advise me to do regarding this issue?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Reply

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Florian Fouillet,

Regarding my memory details can I increase the RAM space and how?

Yes, you can increase the SRAM_DTC. Within the SDK you will find an example called "flexram_ram_allocate", in this example you can select how many blocks you want for each SRAM region. Once you run this example, you need to modify

the size of each SRAM region on the memory details of your project to match the new sizes that you programmed with the ram_allocate example.

If your BSS fits on the OCRAM, you can put this region below PROGRAM_FLASH on the memory details of your project, like shown below.

pastedImage_3.png

Once you make this change, the compiler will place the BSS on the OCRAM automatically. This option is faster since you don't have to modify the RAM regions at all.

Is there anything you can advise me to do regarding this issue?

Any of the two methods mentioned before are good to solve the issue you are facing.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos