About RT1052 running the material bridge

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About RT1052 running the material bridge

Silver110
Contributor I

Has the matter SDK for RT1052 been officially released? Is it possible to convert the SDK under Linux to FreeRTOS? Can we use RT1052 to develop the bridge function of matter?

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Alexandre_Moulinet
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Silver110,

As previously said by my colleagues, there is no Matter SDK for RT1052 by NXP yet available.

Nonetheless, NXP has selected the i.MX RT1060 device family to be the lead Host MCU for Matter development.
This device is really close to the i.MX RT1050 device family, therefore we highly recommend you to move to the i.MX RT1060 device family.

Regarding implementing the Matter bridge function with i.MX RT1050/.MX RT1060, this device type is not yet available in NXP and there is no plan to develop this feature anytime soon on an MCU-based platform.

However, we have this device type available with the i.MX 8M Mini MPU platform + K32W061, which performs the bridge between ZigBee and Matter over Wifi. The MPU-based platform is preferable as the trend is for OpenThread Border Router devices (bridge between Matter over Thread & Matter over Wifi) to be used as Matter bridge devices as well.

Of course, a standalone node can be used as a Matter bridge device as well. A platform using the i.MX RT1060 + K32W061 could achieve this feature with substantial efforts.

Let me know if you have further questions or if you need further details.

Regards,
Alex

0 Kudos

Silver110
Contributor I

We hope to use RT1052 as a bridge device in the Matter network, connecting the original Zigbee light bulb to the Matter network, so that other app software can also control our company's Zigbee light bulb through the bridge device.

0 Kudos

ocourson
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @Silver110 

You confirm that you want to use RT1052 as a bridge device in the Matter network, connecting a Zigbee device to the Matter network.

Could you please detail the following:

1/ which tranceiver do you plan to use for Zigbee interface ? (NXP K32W, other ?)

2/ which radio (802.15.4/Thread, Wifi) do you plan to use for Matter side ?

3/ which device do you plan to use for Matter radio interface ? (NXP, non NXP)

Regards,

Olivier

0 Kudos

Silver110
Contributor I

Hello, Olivier

1) The gateway currently used is based on the RT1052+K32 architecture, which runs FreeRTOS. K32 serves as the coordinator for Zigbee and plans to use NXP K32W as the device transceiver.

2) Our company has been working on Zigbee design solutions for NXP, from JN5169 to JN5189, and then to K32, so we plan to use 802.15.4.

3) What are the requirements for using devices for Matter radio interface communication? What peripheral modules need to be built for RT1052 to meet the requirements of Matter communication? Do you have any official design documents for this?

Regards,

Silver110

0 Kudos

ocourson
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @Silver110 

Matter bridge is connecting non Matter devices (like Zigbee, etc) to Matter devices (Wifi, 802.15.4/thread, ethernet)

(whereas Matter Border Router is connecting Matter devices using different radio interfaces (typically connecting Wifi with  802.15.4/thread devices).

Could you provide more details on your request ? Which kind of devices / radio interfaces would you like to connect ?

Regards,

Olivier

0 Kudos

ramprakash08
Contributor IV

The official release of the Matter SDK for RT1052 by NXP has not yet been made available. Nonetheless, NXP's MPU/Linux Hosted Matter Development platform offers the essential hardware, software, and support for crafting advanced end devices utilizing Matter over Wi-Fi and Thread. These devices can serve as mesh extenders, Matter controllers, or Thread Borders. The Matter software can be accessed on NXP's GitHub page, with a caveat that the information in this document may change without prior notice.

Converting the SDK from Linux to FreeRTOS is theoretically possible but involves substantial effort. The Kinetis SDK consists of two layers: the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and the Peripheral Driver Layer. The HAL abstracts hardware register access into stateless functional components that serve as the foundation for high-level Peripheral Drivers or applications. Additionally, the Kinetis SDK incorporates middleware like the Freescale USB stack, simplifying software development for Kinetis microcontroller (MCU) product families.

Regarding implementing the Matter bridge function with RT1052, its feasibility hinges on project-specific requirements. RT1052 is a potent MCU, potentially suitable for the task. However, a definitive answer necessitates more detailed project information.

0 Kudos