Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMXRT1060 Custom board - MCUBootUtility not working

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou,

Please refer to the post below,

Solved: Re: Bootloader to flash the external QSPI flash - NXP Community

We have already discussed, and I got the bootloader to program the external QSPI flash working previously.

Recently, I was trying to bootload our new custom board and I got the following error as in attached image1. So, I tried to check in my previous version of custom board to check if any hardware changes are affecting its functionality but got the same result. 

Next, I tried using the blhost commands directly in the cmd window and the results are as in attached image 2.

My PC OS is using Windows 11 and it worked in the same PC few months back but not working now.

Next, I tried in another windows 10 PC and when I run the MCUBootUtility, I got the result as in the attached image3. 

Then I tried blhost commands and I was able to erase and program the board as can be seen in image4.

Can you point me in the right direction, why this issue is happening.

Your inputs on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech ,

Thank you for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide service for you.

Thanks so much for your trust!

I have checked your attached pictures.

1. image 1:

Seems you are using the SBL ISP, you may need to use the nomal bootloader, not the SBL ISP.

kerryzhou_0-1722488541885.png

Use master instead of the SBL OTA method, the SBL OTA need to use with SBL.

2.  image 2

Seems you didn't enter the serial download mode, you can check the real serial download mode, whether that works or not?

I think you need to make the mcubootutility serial download mode connection works, that mean your hardware is OK to use.

3.  image 3

close your mcubootutility tool

copy your mcubootutilty tool to the folder which have less path, eg, you can put it in the C:/

Then test it again.

4. image 4

This seems works OK, if the same board, it means your hardware have no issues, still need to check the PC side software.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou,

I Followed the instructions from the below knowledge base for the bootloader.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT-Knowledge-Base/RT1060-OTA-bootloader-ISP-and-swap-rollback-usag...

I took the ota_bootoader code for iMXRT1060 (iar) from the SDK_2_10_0_EVK-MIMXRT1060.

The ota_bootloader code in the SDK does not support SDRAM and did modifications as per the above knowledge base to have SDRAM support.

I used the SBL ISP method as we need to program from the flash.

So first I will program the ota_bootloader using IAR I-jet and then reset the board and within 5 secs will connect using MCUBootUtility to enter the bootloader mode. Then program the application code.

It was working fine without any issue.

But now when I try the same procedure it gives the error as in image 1 sent previously. 

I can see that the device is enumerating as HID device (vid: 0x15a2, pid: 0x0073) after reset. Then I press 'connect to SBL' using MCUBootUtility. But it is not connecting.

What can be the possible cause?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech ,

Thanks you for your updated information.

Older win10 PC works or not?

Or just win11 can't work?

I want to know, whether it is related to your PC or the software, as your software works previously.

One method to checking on your win11, as your issue is on the win 11, please let the board enter the serial download mode, then use the mcubootutility to connect your board, this will not use the ota bootloader code, just the ROM help you to check it, whether this is working or not?

If this works, just the ota can't work, it is the software code issue.

If this also not work, it may related to the mcubootutility working issue with win11.

Please help to double check it, and give the reply, thanks so much!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou ,

Last I tested the bootloader in March/April this year and it is the same PC which I am using now (Windows 11).

But now I am not able to use the MCUBootUtility tool.

So, I tried in another PC which has windows 10, in that blhost command works but not MCUBootUtility. It gives the error as in image3 in previous post.

Now as per your instruction, I put the board in serial download mode (SW position to 0001),

Then changed the Run mode to Master mode. Reset the device and within 5 secs gave Connect to ROM. The output is as in attached image5.

Again, I changed to QSPI mode, put the switch in 0010 position.

Then changed the Run mode to SBL OTA. Reset the device and within 5 secs gave Connect to SBL ISP. The output is as in attached image6.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech ,

Thanks for your updated information.

If the blhost works, just the mcubootutility can't work, it is the mcubootutility issues on your side.

Which version you are using?

Please try the newest version:

https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility

You may also need to check your PC side python version:

kerryzhou_0-1722577857848.png

BTW, my side, also win11, in fact, I even didn't install the specific python, that is also works.

kerryzhou_1-1722578248456.png

With it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou,

The blhost also does not work in my Win11 PC now. Please see the attached image7. It worked when I tested it few months ago. 

I tested blhost yesterday in my test PC which was windows 10 and it worked. In that test PC also MCUBootUtility does not work.

I am using MCUBoot Utility v6.1.0. I think it is relatively newer version and I have been using this previously without any issues.

Thanks for your suppport.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech ,

So strange result.

What about the win10 blhost, whether that works or not?

You also can find an NXP MIMXRT1060-EVK board, enter the serial download mode, and check your win11, whether that works or not?

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

EmbeddedTech
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou,

In my Windows 10 the blhost works fine. You can refer the image4 in the yesterday's post. But MCUBootUtility does not work (immage 3).

I managed to find the 1060EVK. It had iled blinky code in it. I changed to serial download mode and tried connecting to MCUBootUtility. But no success. Please find attached image 8 for your reference. The blhost also does not work.

Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @EmbeddedTech ,

Thanks for your updated information.

If the NXP board, with the blhost even can't work, I think you may need to check with your company IT, whether the firewall prevent it, I think it is related to your own PC, not just the tools or boards.

Please double check it, you even can check with another personal win11 PC.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos