cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rootfs and how to generate rootfs.tar.bz2

ioancalapod
Contributor II

Hi All

Can anyone clarify what is the rootfs directory I am supposed to change directory (cd) into:

$ cd <your rootfs directory>

$ sudo -s

$ tar -cjf ../rootfs.tar.bz2 ./*

I am trying to use the MFGtool in order to create a bootable SD card from a pre-compiled demo BSP

I am told that I need these files: “u-boot.bin”, “uImage”, “rootfs.tar.bz2”

Now, “u-boot.bin” and “uImage”come from the BSP release. Not the “rootfs.tar.bz2”!

I would appreciate if one could explain in more detail what the rootfs directory is all about.

Any good documentation on the subject is appreciated too.

Best, loan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ioan,

On the "i.MX Linux User’s Guide" you have the proper steps for generating the bootable SD card using dd command and .sdcard file, or manually partitioning the SD card and copying each part to the proper partition, or using the MGFTool.

You should make sure that the mentioned paths match, as they may be different between documented examples, and the paths of your host machine. Additionally, if you want to verify which disk/partition should be used, you could try the following command on Linux terminal:

cat /proc/partitions

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ioancalapod
Contributor II

Hi Carlos

I was successful in creating the SD card using the .sdcard image and then changing video to HDMI.

I cannot get it to work with MFGtool though…I get all successful on the MFGtool side (I used a rootfs.tar.bz2 I generated in a previous Yocto project) but I cannot

Get it to output to HDMI and I tried lots of things…

As a matter of fact I got it to go in a terminal like environment on the HDMI display…shouldn’t be similar to the desktop I get when using the .sdcard procedure?

Maybe you have any insight on this focused topic.

Best Regards, Ioan

Ioan Calapod, Eng.

Field Application Engineer

Arrow Electronics Montreal

1425 Trans Canada Highway, Suite 140

Dorval, Quebec H9P 2W9

Mobile: (514) 730-5766

Direct: (514) 421-4384

Email: icalapod@arrow.com<mailto:icalapod@arrow.com>

Look for parts at: http://parts.arrow.com/

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ioan

If you want to output the video to a HDMI display, it is required to change the boot arguments like described on section "Specifying displays" of chapter 4.7 "Running Linux on the target" from document "i.MX Linux User’s Guide"

The following are some examples of what these might look like.

• U-Boot > setenv displayinfo 'video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24'

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos