cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pylint3

biginer
Contributor II

Hi,

I have i.MX 8M Plus EVK Board and I don't know anything about linux environment. "i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide" say in "3.2 Host packages",
Essential Yocto Project host packages are:
$ sudo apt install gawk wget git diffstat unzip texinfo gcc build-essential chrpath socat cpio python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint3 xterm python3-subunit mesa-common-dev zstd liblz4-tool rsync curl

I excute that command and I got message "E: Unable to locate package pylint3"

so I ask NXP, and get answer
customer must install pylint3 successfully, if failed, this should be issue with their ubuntu system, then you couldn't build the bsp successfully, firstly customer must install all of packages in the yocto user guide successfully, if pylint3 is required in the yocto user guide, customer must install it, couldn't change pylint3 to pylint

What should I do?

0 Kudos
12 Replies

markwilliams
Senior Contributor I

Hi, I share your frustration with the first steps of setting up a build environment for Linux! The list of packages in the NXP docs is not up to date, and the current list of packages in the latest Yocto guide is not up to date.

I had the same issue with pylint3 and found one user had discovered it is now just pylint but you need to create a symbolic link from anything that calls pylint3 back to pylint.

https://www.reddit.com/r/embeddedlinux/comments/wu2fw9/yocto_works_for_imx_builds_on_pop_os_2204/

In case the link goes down the solution posted is below (thanks user HappyDancingApe)!

If you run into a problem with setting up the build environment because of pylint3 not being recognized, it is because pylint3 is pylint again.

You can create a symlink called pylint3 that points to pylint and yocto works fine.

which pylint 

cd to the bin where the file lives then create the link

ln -s pylint pylint3

biginer
Contributor II

Thanks for the information .

Unfortunately, I changed the hardware to Toradex Verdin iMX8M Plus and Dahlia Carrier Board so I can't try any more.

Sorry.

0 Kudos

wuyunfeng
Contributor II

Hi, I have been facing the same issue on ubuntu 22.04. Did you fix your problem and how? Thank you for sharing ~

0 Kudos

biginer
Contributor II

In my case, I did bitbake without installing pylint3.
Nevertheless, bitbake core-image-minimal succeeded.
I gave up building core-image-sato.

Now I changed hardware to Toradex Verdin iMX8M Plus and Dahlia Carrier Board.
I have found Toradex to have good support.

wuyunfeng
Contributor II

I'm almost giving up either. I can't believe that you are the first person I find online which feedback this issue, considering this is the begin steps of Yocto's tutorial.

thanks.

biginer
Contributor II

Hi,@Harvey021

Thanks for the response.

In the i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide (Rev. LF5.15.32_2.0.0 - 12 July 2022) it says "The recommended minimum Ubuntu version is 20.04 or later."

I am using ubuntu 20.04. (on vmware).

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get -y install pylint3

It still get "unable to locate package pylint3".

0 Kudos

Harvey021
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi 

You need to check the sources.list(/etc/apt), if there is wrong configuration. 

Or you can manually download the package and install it. 

Best regards

Harvey

0 Kudos

biginer
Contributor II

Thanks for the advice.
I will check sources.list.

If not, I will try reinstalling from ubuntu.

0 Kudos

biginer
Contributor II

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?lang=en&keywords=pylint3

> focal (20.04LTS): Virtual package
> provided by: pylint

Can pylint replace pylint3?

0 Kudos

Harvey021
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @biginer 

Yes, the package has to be installed on your host machine. 

The error: unable to locate package pylint3. Firstly please check the ubuntu version that you are using is the recommended one as per yocto user guide. If no other issue, such as network...etc. the packages installation on your host should be no problem.

Another way, you can manually install pylint3.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade on terminal of your host machine, and then run 

sudo apt-get -y install pylint3

Best regards

Harvey

0 Kudos

diverger
Contributor II

Hi, Harvey021

If there are more than 3 people find this problem, there must be something wrong. I encountered this too. After trying 'sudo apt-get -y install pylint3' it says:

E: Unable to locate package pylint3

On Ubuntu 22.04.

Regards.

masifamu
Contributor I

I am also having the same problem

0 Kudos