Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kk4.4.2_1.0.0-ga Kernel hangs at Freeing init memory: 252K

Jump to solution
saurabh206
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

I am able to successfully build the Kit-Kat 4.4.2 code.

My local eng build binary fails to boot on Sabresd board. Always stuck on

snvs_rtc snvs_rtc.0: setting system clock to 1970-01-01 00:01:49 UTC (109)

Freeing init memory: 252K

Kernel_imx git log is

commit 0a3529b5d4a9070297dea78cf609b50a2710a9ec

Author: Ranjani Vaidyanathan <Ranjani.Vaidyanathan@freescale.com>

Date:   Fri Jun 13 16:18:20 2014 -0500

How to fixed this issue?

Regards,

Saurabh

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
egremillion
Contributor III

I haven't heard anything from Freescale, but I've (FINALLY) managed to get past this point and get my builds to run on my SABRE SDB.  For me the problem appeared to be in the process of making the SD card itself.  I tried using the MFGTool on Windows and that didn't change the SD card at all.  So I used two shell scripts to partition and then copy the .img files to my card.  At first I did that in a VM from my Windows machine and it didn't work (hung at "Freeing init memory: 252K").  So I moved to a physical Ubuntu box and ran the same shell scripts with the same .img files onto the same SD card and it works...

After that I also had to modify the U-Boot bootargs variable to match my monitor setup.  And there are still some issues I'll have to work through (e.g. my board now automatically suspends shortly after it boots up).  But I've seen discussions about those things so I'll keep working through them.

Saurabh - are you trying to boot from an SD card?  If so, here's what I'd recommend:

1) Make sure you've applied the correct patch to fstab.freescale

2) Make sure you use a physical machine to burn your compiled .img files onto your SD card

3) Double-check your bootargs variable in U-Boot environment to make sure it matches your setup

If it might be helpful, here's the bootargs value I'm using (I'm sure this will change, but at least it gets my board to boot):

console=ttymxc0,115200 init=/init video=mxcfb0:dev=ldb,bpp=32 video=mxcfb1:off video=mxcfb2:off fbmem=10M fb0base=0x27b00000 vmalloc=400M androidboot.console=ttymxc0 androidboot.hardware=freescale androidboot.serialno=121221d4d81917c9

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
egremillion
Contributor III

I haven't heard anything from Freescale, but I've (FINALLY) managed to get past this point and get my builds to run on my SABRE SDB.  For me the problem appeared to be in the process of making the SD card itself.  I tried using the MFGTool on Windows and that didn't change the SD card at all.  So I used two shell scripts to partition and then copy the .img files to my card.  At first I did that in a VM from my Windows machine and it didn't work (hung at "Freeing init memory: 252K").  So I moved to a physical Ubuntu box and ran the same shell scripts with the same .img files onto the same SD card and it works...

After that I also had to modify the U-Boot bootargs variable to match my monitor setup.  And there are still some issues I'll have to work through (e.g. my board now automatically suspends shortly after it boots up).  But I've seen discussions about those things so I'll keep working through them.

Saurabh - are you trying to boot from an SD card?  If so, here's what I'd recommend:

1) Make sure you've applied the correct patch to fstab.freescale

2) Make sure you use a physical machine to burn your compiled .img files onto your SD card

3) Double-check your bootargs variable in U-Boot environment to make sure it matches your setup

If it might be helpful, here's the bootargs value I'm using (I'm sure this will change, but at least it gets my board to boot):

console=ttymxc0,115200 init=/init video=mxcfb0:dev=ldb,bpp=32 video=mxcfb1:off video=mxcfb2:off fbmem=10M fb0base=0x27b00000 vmalloc=400M androidboot.console=ttymxc0 androidboot.hardware=freescale androidboot.serialno=121221d4d81917c9

0 Kudos
saurabh206
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

egremillion  

Thanks for replay.

I am trying to boot from SDCard only.

The only difference is that my output display is HDMI, the only change which should not make any difference.

I need to check with fstab.freescale patch.

Regards

Saurabh

0 Kudos
saurabh206
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

I have updating fstab.freescale I am able to get boot the hardware with SDCard.

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ernie,

It is good to know that you solved your problem. In regards, the pathces I used to know that the last release already contained the patches of previous releases.

Therefore, the patch you mentioned might not be needed, depending on the version you are working with.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos
egremillion
Contributor III

I have the exact same problem.

I'm trying to boot from SD card and initially thought it was related to the patch to fstab.freescale (there appears to be a few typos in the Android User Guide PDF - see here: Wrong imx6 fstab.freescale patch for SD card usage in Android jb43).

That still didn't fix my problem though.  Anyone else have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ernie

0 Kudos
saurabh206
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Any update from Freescale team?

0 Kudos