imx35 sdma firmware and scripts info

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx35 sdma firmware and scripts info

PeterBergin
Contributor III

Working on a project to port a sdma driver for imx357 to newer kernel. Previously the project have patched the driver to load a custom script. I'm trying to understand why and probably I'm starting to see the reason but would like to have some more insights. I can not see how firmware and script loading for imx35 is working in the kernel.

The imx35.dtsi file points to a firmware called imx/sdma/sdma-imx35.bin (https://github.com/nxp-imx/linux-imx/blob/66e442bc7fdcc935e6faa94c743f653263d4ed67/arch/arm/boot/dts...). I have not found any binary file called like that in any distribution yet. The closest I get is that firmware-imx have two files named imx35, sdma-imx35-to1.bin and sdma-imx35-to2.bin. Anyone that knows if the standard file sdma-imx35.bin is present somewhere?

In the driver imx-sdma.c, that is common between several imx socs, all variants except imx35 have a struct `sdma_script_start_addrs` that contains start addresses for the scripts. (https://github.com/nxp-imx/linux-imx/blob/66e442bc7fdcc935e6faa94c743f653263d4ed67/drivers/dma/imx-s...) Can this driver work for imx35 without information about script addresses?

I know this is a mature processor and don't know the usage these days. But I guess there are systems using it that also uses sdma. Hopefully someone can help me get some more insights here.

Thanks,
/Peter

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

PeterBergin
Contributor III

@joanxie if you match the file name in the dtb this file will be used but standard dtb have another name.

Anyway, where is the content of sdma-imx35-to1.bin and sdma-imx35-to2.bin described? I'm looking for information what scripts that are inside the firmware and how to use them.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

what bsp version do you build? did you built nxp  bsp or the third party company bsp?

0 Kudos

PeterBergin
Contributor III

That shouldn't matter. I'm looking for documentation for the SDMA and the firmware file sdma-imx35-to1.bin.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

all of documents about sdma are under NDA, we couldn't share this on public community

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

the path you find is correct, the SDMA firmware should be under firmware/imx/sdma/ sdma-imx35-to1.bin, then imx-sdma.c load the firmware

0 Kudos