cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx31 csi

GeraldJEAN-BART
Contributor I

Hello,

I would like to use the CSI interface of the iMX31 to receive generic data from an FPGA.

I've looked in linux/drivers/media/video/capture and saw there was a v4l2 driver, and a file mx27_csi to initialize the CSI interface.

I'm not sure if this code is compatible with the iMX31 (have compared the CSI registers from the reference manuals between the iMX27 and iMX31, and seems there are differences). Does it means I have to code a program to initialize the CSI interface  ? (like in mx27_csi.c)

Does Freescale provide a ready-to-use solution somewhere to capture a frame from the CSI interface and store it in memory ?

Any help to guide me on the right way will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

excuse me for my english (not my native language),

Gérald

0 Kudos
5 Replies

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, it is better to upgrade your toolchain.

You can install a more recent LTIB that will provide you a gcc4.4. If you are insterested only in the toolchain you can also get it via "sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi" in Ubuntu.

You also need to export the toolchain:

export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi-

and then 'make imx_v6_v7_defconfig'

make -j4 uImage LOADADDR=0x80008000

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos

GeraldJEAN-BART
Contributor I

Hey Fabio ,

tried to compile the kernel 3.5 but didn't succeed because my toolchain is using gcc 4.1.2.

Found a post of you on http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2010-August/0...

I've got the same error than you, impossible constraint in 'asm'

It seems I've got to update my toolchain, never did this before, I've got to download a newest ltib right ?

Regards,

0 Kudos

GeraldJEAN-BART
Contributor I

thanks for your answer Fabio,

I gonna try this, I hope there won't be much changes between 2.6.26 and 3.5, because here lot of things have been already written with this kernel (olds drivers and software made for our system).

Anyway I'm gonna try, many thanks !

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Gérald,

Please try a 3.5 kernel instead. The camera driver for mx31 is located at drivers/media/video/mx3_camera.c.

mx31pdk board (also known as mx31_3ds) contains a ov2640 cmos sensor that is connected to the mx31 csi port.

You can see the kernel code at: arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-mx31_3ds.c

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos

GeraldJEAN-BART
Contributor I

Hello,

any engineers from freescale on this forum ?

I'm using the kernel you provide us for the iMX31 (2.6.26):

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX...

In this kernel I didn't found any driver to use the CSI interface for the iMX31. (Only for iMX27)

I had seen in newer versions of the kernel a driver using this CSI interface, (mx3-camera.c), had try to replace the older kernel with a newer one (rel_imx_2.6.35_10.11.01), succeed to compile it, but unfortunately it's no more running on our board. Maybe I shouldn't have taken this release.

I'm a little lost between all the releases found in http://git.freescale.com/git/ , don't know which one to take.

Could you suggest the easiest solution to use this CSI interface with the PDK 1.5 ?

Else maybe I've got to download another PDK ? but which one you suggest us ?

Many thanks,

Gérald

0 Kudos