iMX6 Flash execution

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6 Flash execution

mjrudy
Contributor IV

Is it possible with any of the IMX6 processors running the A9 core and not the M core to execute out of flash.  Or is DRAM the only option to run an application.

Where does the iMX6 execute u-boot code from.  I load it our of Nor flash but does it get copied into DRAM or run out of Flash?

Currently running code on the imx6 solo and imx6 dual lite.

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Micah

>Is it possible with any of the IMX6 processors running the A9 core and not the M core to execute out of flash.

yes it is supported for EIM, sect.8.5.1 NOR flash/OneNAND using EIM interface

i.MX 6Solo/6DualLite Applications Processor Reference Manual

> I load it our of Nor flash but does it get copied into DRAM or run out of Flash?

it is necessary to set application addresses in IVT properly (in NOR flash range, "Dest. memory"),

details can be found in Figure 8-20. Image Vector Table.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

mjrudy
Contributor IV

Hi Igor,

Are there any reference manuals or read me texts that would describe how to run uboot out of the spi flash on the imx6solo?  I know the code is stored in spi flash but when uboot is running how can I tell if it got loaded into DRAM or is still running out of the spi flash?

I'm still unsure or how uboot sets up the IVT would you happen to know what file in uboot would contain this setup information?

I am using an Embedian imx6solo. 

Thank you,

Micah Rudy

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Micah

sorry other documentation for that is not available, so please look at Figure 8-20. Image Vector Table

and adjust destination memory addresses to EIM NOR addresses. May be useful AN12183

sect.3. XIP boot flow for i.MX RT1050 as it has similar ivt

How to Enable Debugging for FLEXSPI NOR Flash

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos