i.MXRT1050 BOOT from serial FLASH (Not QSPI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MXRT1050 BOOT from serial FLASH (Not QSPI)

chris_garry
Contributor I

Is it possible for the i.MXRT1050 processor to boot from a simple serial FLASH device.  The FLASH part we wish to use is LE25S81AMDTWG (NOR Flash 8 Mb Serial Flash Memory).

Reading all of the documentation I can find seems to indicate that the processor will use the DQS pin by default when booting from serial FLASH but this pin is not present on the FLASH part that we wish to use.

I would be very grateful if anybody could shed light on this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

chris_garry
Contributor I

Hi @kerryzhou,

Thanks for your response.  The plan was for the code to copy itself to the internal SRAM and run from there.  Therefore I was less concerned at the execution speed from FLASH.

However, after considering your comments I have asked the hardware guys to use the same QSPI FLASH and pins as the eval board.  Experience says this is going to be the path of least resistance for software development!

Thanks and regards,
Chris

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @chris_garry ,

Your flash chip is not the same as the QSPI flash, as you just have one data, so you may refer to it just use FlexSPI_A_D0, then in the code, you also need to configure it as single wire command.

I think you can test it on your side at first, just make sure it works or not, then do the hardware design.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @chris_garry ,

Do you want to use LE25S81AMDTWG  as the XIP flash?

If yes, to be honest, I don't recommend you use it, as it is just the normal SPI, so it means, you need to use single data line mode, the speed is not quick, it can't match the RT1050 performance. Although, it also supports SFDP, but it can't support quad mode.

Until now, I didn't find any customer or application use that chip.

I still recommend you follow our MIMXRT1050-EVKB board, use the board's QSPI or other supported QSPI, eg. IS25WP128. that will make your project design easier.

About DQS, don't worry, to the QSPI pin, you don't need to connect it, just leave it as float, please note, float this DQS pin, as it will be used loop internally.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos