cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6S Vivante GPU Profiling tools and help required for 3.10.17-1.0.0 release

vikaspatil
Senior Contributor I

Hi All,

I would like to profile the gpu for i.MX6S custom target which is running 3.10.17-1.0.0 graphics driver with X11.

- Where can I get user space graphics driver with gpu profiler enabled for 3.10.17-1.0.0?

- I tried adding "galcore.gpuProfiler=1" to kernel command line, however kernel doesn't boot with this and hangs at very initial stage (at starting kernel only), How do I enable it in kernel mode graphics driver?

- Can I use vAnalyser and vProfiler from Vivante_VDK-v1.4.6 for 3.10.17-1.0.0 release of graphics drivers?

Could anyone please give some inputs/suggestion or status about profiling GPU for 3.10.17-1.0.0?

Regards & Thanks,

Vikash

Labels (4)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vikash

You need VDK tool 1.5.0v for BSP 3.10.,17, The environment variable VIV_PROFILE can be used to enable or disable vProfiler. By default, vProfiler is disabled in the driver. The command below will enable vProfiler. Set VIV_PROFILE equal to 0 to disable vProfiler. export VIV_PROFILE=1

To enable vProfiler Option in Kernel only need to add a sentence "galcore.gpuProfiler=1" in the attribute of bootargs in your boot configuration. For example, we can configuration bootargs like: setenv bootargs 'console=ttymxc0,115200 init=/init video=mxcfb0:dev=ldb,bpp=32 video=mxcfb1:off video=mxcfb2:off video=mxcfb3:off vmalloc=400M androidboot.console=ttymxc0 consoleblank=0 androidboot.hardware=freescale cma=512M androidboot.serialno=1e09a1d4d72d78a9 galcore.gpuProfiler=1'.

In general suggestion and general procedure to enable vprofiler and vanalizer could be found in the VDK documentation.

www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX6Q&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

Hope this helps

0 Kudos

vikaspatil
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

* I downloaded the VTK1.5 from below link which gives me package VivanteVTK-v1.5.tgz and it contains different Vivante tools but no gpu drivers.

https://cache.freescale.com/secured/software_development_tools/ide-debug/VivanteVTK-v1.5.tgz?__gda__...

* I enabled the gpu profiler in kernel driver itself. See below my galcore driver options.

Galcore version 4.6.9.9754

galcore options:

irqLine           = 41

registerMemBase   = 0x00130000

registerMemSize   = 0x00004000

irqLine2D         = 42

registerMemBase2D = 0x00134000

registerMemSize2D = 0x00004000

contiguousSize    = 134217728

contiguousBase    = 0x20300000

bankSize          = 0x00000000

fastClear         = -1

compression       = -1

signal            = 48

baseAddress       = 0x00000000

physSize          = 0x00000000

logFileSize       = 0 KB

powerManagement   = 0

gpuProfiler   = 1

coreClock       = 156000000

* I set the environment variable as follows on my targets teraterm prompt

export VIV_PROFILE=1

Does this mean it enables profiling in user space graphics driver and I don't need one which is compiled with profiling support?

export VP_FRAME_NUM=5 (limits the frames)

export VP_OUTPUT=tutorial2.vpd (file name to generate)

./tutorial2_es20 -f 100

Then I tun application which didn't generated the file with expected name. Instead I found file is generated with name "_291_1.vpd" with size of 2KB. I think file

don't have the correct data as after opening it via VAnalyzer on host machine it doesn't show anything in chart window and shows Total Frame Number =1 in System Info->Data Summry (I tried with large number of frames too)?

Am I missing something here?

Regards & Thanks

Vikash

0 Kudos

robertlukassen
Contributor I

Hi,

I had similar issues. I also got files named '_xxx_1.vpd', that subsequently I could not get the VAnalyzer tool to read. Apparently, the version of that tool I had installed was either too old, or too new, whatever.

I installed VAnalyzer from the VIVANTE VDK package I retrieved from freescale, from their i.MX6Q section on their site, 'software&tools', 'software development tools', 'IDE Debug, Compile and Build Tools', I.MX_6_VIVANTE_VDK_150_TOOLS.

That helped me. The VAnalyzer tool in that package opened my vpd files with no issues. Maybe it'll work for you too.

Robert

0 Kudos