Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX50 - unable to change boot mode after software reset

PeterChan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi All,

In my application, I need to switch the MX50 boot mode from SD1 to USB-HID by software reset. As an experiment, I add the following code segment in u-boot to reset i.MX50 by internal watchdog. After making this change, the i.MX508 board can reset itself automatically after printing the SCR_SMBR register value.

====================================

unsigned short U16;
    unsigned int U32;

U32 = readl(0x53FD0004);
    printf("SBMR: %08x\n", U32);
    udelay(3000000);

// disable warm reset
    U32 = readl(0x53FD0000);
    U32&= 0xFFFFFFFE;
    writel(U32, 0x53FD0000);

// assert internal wdog_rst
    U16 = readw(0x53F98000);
    U16 &= 0xFFEF;
    writew(U16, 0x53F98000);
====================================

If I set the boot configuration switches to USB-HID during u-boot, I found that the board will still boot from SD1. The SCR_SMBR register value is always 0x10000048 regardless to the configuration of boot switches.

However, if I press the reset button on the MX508 RD3 board, it boot into USB-HID immediately. I think it is due to the difference between power on reset and software reset. Anyone can help?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

PeterChan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This solution works! Many thanks : )

Qiang Li said:

Hi Peter, 

For your case, before enable the watch dog reset, you can write data 0x13000000 to LP General Purpose Register (SRTC_LPGR). Then after watch dog reset happen, the IMX50 ROM will check this register, if bit 28 of SRTC_LPGR is 1, the value in bit 25~0 will be loaded into SRC_SBMR, with the 0x13000000 in SRTC_LPGR, after watch dog reset, my iMX50 board will boot into download HID mode successfuly. (Bit 25~24 is the boot mode in SRC_SBMR)

You don't need modify the external boot pin setting, and WARM_RESET bit was also not be changed. Of cource, for normal case, you need clear the bit 28 of SRTC_LPGR, other wize, all watch dog reset will run into download mode.

By the way, after you set 0x13000000 to SRTC_LPGR, it needs some delay to be active, you'd better to read back it to double confirm the value had been updated in SRTC_LPGR, then generate the watch dog reset.

Please try it.

0 Kudos

qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter, 

For your case, before enable the watch dog reset, you can write data 0x13000000 to LP General Purpose Register (SRTC_LPGR). Then after watch dog reset happen, the IMX50 ROM will check this register, if bit 28 of SRTC_LPGR is 1, the value in bit 25~0 will be loaded into SRC_SBMR, with the 0x13000000 in SRTC_LPGR, after watch dog reset, my iMX50 board will boot into download HID mode successfuly. (Bit 25~24 is the boot mode in SRC_SBMR)

You don't need modify the external boot pin setting, and WARM_RESET bit was also not be changed. Of cource, for normal case, you need clear the bit 28 of SRTC_LPGR, other wize, all watch dog reset will run into download mode.

By the way, after you set 0x13000000 to SRTC_LPGR, it needs some delay to be active, you'd better to read back it to double confirm the value had been updated in SRTC_LPGR, then generate the watch dog reset.

Please try it.

Peter Chan said:

I also attempt to change the watchdog reset to cold reset by clear the WARM_RESET_ENABLE bit in SRC_SCR register. However, it still does not work.

0 Kudos

PeterChan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I also attempt to change the watchdog reset to cold reset by clear the WARM_RESET_ENABLE bit in SRC_SCR register. However, it still does not work.

0 Kudos

qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Only for power on reset and cold reset, the IIM will be updated. You can reference to iMX50 reference manual, "49.3.1.2.2.1 IPP_RESET_B(POR)", "49.3.1.2.2.2 COLD RESET" and "49.3.1.2.2.3 WARM RESET" to find the difference for reset.

0 Kudos