custom build i.MX 8 SDK can not be installed into MCUXpresso IDE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom build i.MX 8 SDK can not be installed into MCUXpresso IDE

MingleLu
Contributor I

Trying to Build an i.MX 8 SDK with MCUXpresso SDK Builder and found that only 2 options to choose the toolchain/IDE: 1) GCC ARM Embedded; 2) IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM,  this is different from building SDK for i.MX RT 1064, which has toolchain options of 1) MCUXpresso IDE, 2) GCC ARM 3) IAR for ARM 4) Keil MDK....

I tested:

1) building i.MX RT 1064 SDK using MCUXpresso IDE toolchain, then the SDK is successfully installed into MCUXpresso IDE.

2) Building i.MX RT 1064 SDK using GCC ARM toolchain, then the SDK is failed to be installed into MCUXpresso IDE, "MCUXpresso was unable to load one or more SDK, See Error log view for detail.

3) Building i.MX 8 SDK using GCC ARM toolchain, then the SDK is failed to be installed into MCUXpresso IDE, "MCUXpresso was unable to load one or more SDK, See Error log view for detail.

From the test, it seems that the key to make a build SDK successfully installed into MCUXpresso IDE is to choose MCUXpresso IDE toolchain when building the SDK.

Since there is no option to choose MCUXpresso IDE toolchain to build i.MX 8 SDK,  I'd like to ask for help to find a way to build an i.MX 8 SDK and installed into MCUXpresso IDE. 

my current MCUXpresso IDE version:MCUXpresso IDE v11.2.0 [Build 4120] [2020-07-09],  SDK version: SDK_2.8.0_MIMX8QM6xxxFF.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@MingleLu 
Hello,

Note, the MCUX IDE practically is not used with the i.MX8X SDK. Only toolchain
in command line mode is applied to build and run the demo applications. Use just
SDK documentation (not MCUX IDE documentation). Note, IAR may be used as IDE.
The SDK package should be preliminary unzipped, it will be used further just
as code sources. For more details refer to "Getting Started with MCUXpresso
SDK..." (in /doc directory of the SDK package).

Regards,
Yuri.

0 Kudos