cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cpufreq on imx28 mainline kernel

rajtantajtan
Contributor I

Hello,

Is it possible to change clockspeed on the fly with mainline kernel?  I want to do this to lower my power consumption on imx28.

I have seen somewhere on this community that it was possible with the 2.6 kernel from Freescale but I can't find anything on how to do it with a newer 3.x kernel.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
18 Replies

michaelkoelbl
Contributor III

Meanwhile changing CPUFREQ is supported in kernel 3.x (see above). Are there also activities in kernel 4.x?

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hallo Michael,

i think i need to clarify. The cpufreq support for i.MX28 is still in development and not in mainline, but my patches works with Kernel 3.x and 4.x. There are no fundamental changes between 3.x and 4.x.

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hi rajtantajtan,

currently there is no support for cpufreq on i.MX28 in mainline according to this thread: http://www.spinics.net/lists/cpufreq/msg10430.html .

First of all, the mxs-regulator driver must be ported to mainline. My first trial for Linux 3.17-rc3 is here: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/354223

Any feedback is appreciated

BR Stefan

0 Kudos

victorien
Contributor IV

Hi,

I need to change clockspeed on fly on the imx28 and kernel 3.x ; does it work for you ?

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hi Victorien,

you will find in this Github repository the cpufreq-dt support (formely known as cpufreq-cpu0) for i.MX23/28:

lategoodbye/linux-mxs-power · GitHub

Edit: Please keep in mind this repo is for development so i can't guarantee any stability or compatiblity to the final version.

Here are the necessary steps:

Searching for tester of Linux Kernel drivers

Regards Stefan

0 Kudos

victorien
Contributor IV

I made some tests on the driver and I saw an issue. The gouvernor is  userspace and the initial frequency is 454735, I use this command to test processor performance "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1000000" and I change the frequency of cpu :

454735 => 6.771169 seconds, 72.1MB/s

392728 => 7.658884 seconds, 63.8MB/s

360000 => 8.207378 seconds, 59.5MB/s

261819 => 11.302969 seconds, 43.2MB/s

360000 => 8.205697 seconds, 59.5MB/s

392728 => 7.660851 seconds, 63.7MB/s

454735 => 12.211602 seconds, 40.0MB/s

It's seems that the cpu can't come back to maximal frequency. Do you have the same issue ?

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hi Victorien,

thanks for testing. The frequency of 454735 sounds strange to me, it should be 454737.

Which branch do you took from the github repo? The current and correct branch would be "dcdc-clk". Sorry, for the confusion.

Did you apply your clk-frac patch?

0 Kudos

victorien
Contributor IV

Hi,

It's a mistake. It's work better with 454737.

On this test, I don't apply the clk-frac patch because those functions aren't use to modify frequency.

0 Kudos

michaelkoelbl
Contributor III

Hi Stefan,

we have the patch running and can use the cpufreq utilities. But the lowest possible CPU frequency is 261.819 MHz. We would like to lower the frequency to 64 MHz. The freescale linux manual explains that both USB nor LCD can be used then, so we build a kernel without USB and LCD support but nothing changed. Have you tried to do this?

By the way we have the same problem with freescale kernel 2.x.

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hi Michael,

i'm sorry but i supend the work on cpufreq support, because the some constraints (EMI clk, VDDD) which need to handle and cpufreq-dt isn't able to handle that.

Currently i'm working to make the lower layer (regulator, power supply) to work properly, before working on cpufreq again.Adding 64 MHz into the OPPs is simple, but from my understanding it needs a little bit more of that.

0 Kudos

victorien
Contributor IV

Hi Stefan,

I'm really interrested by your development on power part. I'll make some tests.

Do you plain to add this code to mainline ?

0 Kudos

victorien
Contributor IV

I have a patch to add 64MHz but I don't know if it's work with LCD and USB

0 Kudos

michaelkoelbl
Contributor III

Hello Victorien,

thanks for the patch, its running. Do you - or perhaps Stefan - know how to lower the AHB Clk frequency? The iMX28_Power_Calculator_RevB.xls shows great power reduction from operating point 261MHz to 64MHz but we saw only a reduction from 68mA to 55mA so I suppose I must reduce AHB Clock frequency, too. Of course its not the same as at the moment in our case only Linux is running on a custom board. As my application only use Audio I think I can lower AHB Clock to 64MHz as in the power calculator example.

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hello Michael,

i think it's a problem of the iMX28_Power_Calculator_RevB.xls. Looking at the frequency table shows TBD for 64 MHz in row VDDA.

From my understand the hbus (AHB) frequency is changed because it's a child node of cpu. Please look at /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary

We will save more power on reducing emi frequency, but that's not trivial anymore because of DRAM controller and DMA handling.

Btw the VDDD setting for 64 MHz in Victorien's patch is too conservative. According to the datasheet 1300 mV is recommend and the cpufreq driver from 2.6.35 uses only 1275 mV.

Stefan

Edit: I see there is problem in the regulator constraints preventing us to define 1300 mV as VDDD. I will fix that.

0 Kudos

victorien
Contributor IV

Hi,

Both AHB and EMI frequency isn't change. As says Stefan, I think it miss many things to have a good frequency managment.

0 Kudos

lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Thanks for the patch.

Could you please explain the reason for changing the clock (ref_cpu to cpu)?

0 Kudos

victorien
Contributor IV

I can really explain why but with clock #4, 64MHz frequency doesn't work. I remarked that HW_CLKCTRL_FRAC1 register says that divider is not stable for 64Mhz. Then I think something is wrong with this frequency.

0 Kudos

victorien
Contributor IV

Thanks for this patch. I understand that it could not be stable and I'll make some test before use it.

I'll give you a feedback if I have any problem.

Regards

0 Kudos