adding driver for PCIe Ethernet card to our Yocto 1.5.1 load.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding driver for PCIe Ethernet card to our Yocto 1.5.1 load.

tomaszsliwinski
Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to add a mini PCIe Ethernet card to our Yocto 1.5.1 load. 

The system is based on i.mx6 solo.

Preferably as a loadable kernel object module.

Yocto can see the Ethernet card on the pci bus and enumerates it.

I have the driver package for Linux for the card which is based on Realtek r8168 chipset.

It seems I have to build a bitbake recipe project and pull the Realtek r8168 driver source there and build this .ko for the specific Yocto  (1.5.1).

Does that seem about right?  Trying to see if this is the easiest way.

If there is an easier way please let me know. The Ethernet card can easily be replaced if there is something else that can be bought.  If there is a better place to ask let me know

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Tomasz

I believe you are right, please look at links explaining bsp customizations

i.MX Yocto Project: How can I (quickly) modify ... | NXP Community

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-95333

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

tomaszsliwinski
Contributor III

Thanks Igor,

That is really helpful.  And I may have to go that route.

It’s a quick turnaround work and I was trying to avoid making a new setup to build the driver .ko module.

The driver package for the Realtek Ethernet comes with a makefile build.  It produces a .ko on my ubuntu, but that is not the target platform.

Is there a way to use makefiles to build .ko instead of bitbake for Yocto?

Alternatively, is there a wired Ethernet card selection of H/W and tested driver code that works well with Yocto (circa version 1.5.1)? We can get those mini PCIe cards is the can easily be already supported by the kernel.

I am still digging around about Yocto & i.mx6.

Is there a forum for the Freescale/NXP imx.6 Yocto? 

Another place seems like is Yocto forums where I will try to get on.

Thank you!

0 Kudos

tomaszsliwinski
Contributor III

Seems like I can try to make a makefile-based package for Yocto..5.3.3. Makefile-Based Package

If you or anyone else can answer some of the other questions it would be helpful.

Thanks!

I will grab the Yocto build I need and try to make a recipe for a makefile based package

0 Kudos