cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whole Linux system on NOR flash

James_wang
Contributor I

Hi, 

Anyone has idea or experience on using NOR flash as the system storage? That means the MX28 load the kernel and rootfs from the NOR flash. The final system need only network, no media codec or gstreamer or GUI is required on the system. 

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

BacemDaassi
Contributor II

Hi John.li,

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation!

To answer your question, we have posted the source code that adds support for our FL-S with the i.MX28 EVK using the u-boot version that's included within this BSP and which is namely: u-boot-2009.08.

If you want me to send you this material, please provide me with your email address and I'll send it to you in a separate thread.

We don't deliver any test suites or regression tests for the FL-S if this is what you're asking for.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Bacem Daassi

Sr. System Software Engineer

Customer Engineering

Spansion International Inc.

0 Kudos

jordifarres
Contributor III
Hi Bacem Daassi:

I'm also interested in any material that can help me to use spi serial flash S25FL128S on i.MX28 EVK

Thanks!

Jordi Farres

Embedded Software Engineer

ZIV communications

0 Kudos

Johnli
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bacem Daassi:
This is johnli from freescale, actually, i have a customer who use the spansion spi nor flash. S25FL128S+FSL i.MX28 . and they wish to use it as storage for uboot/kernel and rootfs.
But i.MX28 linux BSP, version L2.6.35_10.12.01_SDK_source_bundle.tar.gz, do not test the spi nor flash in uboot. So do you have some materials and patch to fix it. Many thanks.
Br
John.li

0 Kudos

ericfang
Contributor I

Hello Bacem Daassi,

Did you send these material to me as following.

"Actually, we have a running system using the i.MX28 EVK which is completely booting from our FL-S serial flash."

Thank you very much!

my email address is fang.jijun.eric@emerson.com

0 Kudos

WilliamHuang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

May I know which bsp you are using??? L2.6.35.10.12.01???

Alexander Keller said:

Hi,

I used the the original U-Boot by Freescale and boot through USB. Then took the latest IMX U-Boot and burned it to SD Card by the Freescale U-Boot functions. After this I just booted by SD Card and used the SF function by burning everything (U-Boot, Kernel, rootfs) to NOR flash. Although its a little bit slow it worked fine for me. I use a Winbond flash.

Are you really working in Freescale, William?

Best regards!

0 Kudos

AlexanderKeller
Contributor I

Hi,

I used the the original U-Boot by Freescale and boot through USB. Then took the latest IMX U-Boot and burned it to SD Card by the Freescale U-Boot functions. After this I just booted by SD Card and used the SF function by burning everything (U-Boot, Kernel, rootfs) to NOR flash. Although its a little bit slow it worked fine for me. I use a Winbond flash.

Are you really working in Freescale, William?

Best regards!

0 Kudos

WilliamHuang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear All,

I could load the i.MX28_ivt_linux.sb to spansion NOR only. Because that I could use the mtdDebug to write the image to NOR.

May I also have total steps that I could use the "SF" or any else could make the Kernel+rootfs to NOR???

Many thanks for your helps

BR

WilliamHuang 

0 Kudos

AlexanderKeller
Contributor I

Hi,

I did a similar thing...

U-Boot(latest IMX version), Linuxkernel(Freescale IMX28) and a minimal rootfs on a serial NOR flash.

Best regards

0 Kudos

BacemDaassi
Contributor II

Hello James,

Did you mean serial or parallel NOR flash?

Actually, we have a running system using the i.MX28 EVK which is completely booting from our FL-S serial flash.

We have some material explaining the work we did, so please provide me with your contact details so that I can send it to you.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Bacem Daassi

Sr. System Software Engineer
Customer Engineering
Spansion International Inc.

0 Kudos

guruprakash_singh
Contributor I

Hello Becem,

I am looking to setup my hardware for Linux Booting from Serial NOR Flash as well. It would be very helpful, if you could share the material, as stated. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks and Regards,

Guruprakash

0 Kudos