cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which GStreamer repo for i.MX8M Mini?

vincentz63
Contributor IV

gstreamer-imx (https://github.com/Freescale/gstreamer-imx) is described as:

"This is a set of GStreamer 1.0 plugins for NXP's i.MX platform, which make use of the i.MX multimedia capabilities.

Currently tested on: i.MX6DL, i.MX6Q, i.MX8m, i.MX8m mini, i.MX8 QuadMax"

But the meta-fsl-bsp-release layer uses NXP's own fork for GStreamer: source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-gst1.0-plugin.git

I understand the later is what is officially supported by NXP. But can anyone explain what might be the benefit of using gstreamer-imx?

Our use-case is encoding and streaming live video using the vpuenc_h264.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The first one is used by the community in general, and its stable it contains not protocol supported by nxp that are supported by the chips in software. the oldest one is supported by nxp and contains all codecs testes and validated.

Regards

0 Kudos

vincentz63
Contributor IV

gstreamer-imx seems to support the hardware codecs for various NXP SoCs, including the MX8MMini...

So my question remains: what is the benefit of the community version Vs the NXP supported one? Why are the two not merged into one and community + NXP combining their efforts?

Does the community version expose more of the hardware features than the NXP version (I am interested specifically for the i.MX8MMini and Plus)? Or vice-versa?

0 Kudos