VS 2008, iMX 283 BSP and Windows CE 6.0 SDK

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VS 2008, iMX 283 BSP and Windows CE 6.0 SDK

codeplusrob
Contributor I

Hi all, my first post here.  I'm trying to get the HelloWorld application to run on an AML Phoenix Mini Kiosk.  Data sheet at http://www.amltd.com/docs/AML%20PHOENIX%20Data%20Sheet.pdf  The device runs Windows CE 6.0 with a Freescale ARM926EJ-S-MX283 processor.  I downloaded the Windows CE 6.0 BSP Source Code Files and documentation 2010.08

from http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=WEIMX&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

The documentation in the archive says to use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005SP1 to install Platform Builder and updates.  Does anyone know if Platform Builder is supported on Visual Studio 2008?  This is the oldest version of Visual Studio I have available.  If not, is it possible to get an eval/trial of VS2005?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As for VS 2008, the problem is that the Platform Builder for WinCE 6 is provided as  a "plug-in"

just for  the VS 2005. When a target Operation System (OS), based on WinCE 6, is

built, applications (not OS in itself !) for this new OS may be designed under the VS 2008.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

codeplusrob
Contributor I

Thanks for replying Yuri.  The Phoenix MiniKiosk already has WinCE 6.0R3 installed.  Are you saying that I don't need to install Platform Builder for Win CE6?  I don't need to make any changes to the target OS but only develop an application.  So in this case I would not need platform builder to build an image of Windows CE 6 as I'm not starting out with an empty system board that I would need to load the OS image and application to.  What tool would I need to make an image of the disk on the Phoenix device running Windows CE6.0R3?  Could I then load this image into VS2008 and begin development?

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, it is possible to use VS2008 for WINCE application design and debug.

As I remember, also SDK (containig BSP specific information) should be involved.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

codeplusrob
Contributor I

I downloaded the WCE600_10.08.02_SDK_bundle.zip and unzipped.  I read the release notes for setting up my development box.  I'm trying to make sure that I can use the SDK and i.MX28 EVK WinCE 6.0 BSP.  My target device is a Phoenix Mini Kiosk from AML (datasheet above).  The device has a Freescale iMX 283 processor and runs Win CE 6.0R3.  Will this BSP and SDK work or do I need to get a board support package from AML?  In general, when developing a solution for a terminal does one use the BSP of the processor on board (in this case from freescale)?

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Regarding Phoenix Mini Kiosk WinCE BSP : You may try FSL BSP for i.MX28 EVK, but it would be

reasonable to apply to board manufacturer, if they support some specific features of their board.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos