cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use JTAG on i.MX8QXP to program an FPGA

Jump to solution
nolan_zinn
Contributor IV

I'm trying to use an i.MX8QXP running Yocto Linux in a system with an FPGA.  We would like the FPGA to be updated in the field by the i.MX8. I've dug pretty extensively through the devicetree files, and I don't believe that the JTAG pins are setup anywhere, which makes sense because it would typically be used to debug the i.MX8.  My question is if there is some way to setup the i.MX8 to use JTAG to flash an FPGA in default operation, and maybe have some alternate setup where we could actually debug the i.MX8 over JTAG?  If not, what method would be best to flash an FPGA from the i.MX8?

I've looked into using either openOCD or the Altera FPGA firmware download module (in the Yocto kernel, altera-stapl) to handle the flashing of the FPGA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nolan

I am afraid such special fpga procedures are not available, for jtag debug

one can check AN12631 and try to program fpga using some standard

intrface: uart, spi or i2c.

Normal and Secure Debug for i.MX8/8X Family of Applications Processors

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nolan

I am afraid such special fpga procedures are not available, for jtag debug

one can check AN12631 and try to program fpga using some standard

intrface: uart, spi or i2c.

Normal and Secure Debug for i.MX8/8X Family of Applications Processors

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!