Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu installation on Sabre board

Jump to solution
davidshoham
Contributor II

Hi,

I have recently received a 'SABRE' board with a dual core imx6 processor. The SD card comes with a default Android image which I am trying to replace with an Ubuntu one. I followed the instructions in 'i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User_Guide.pdf' - specifically chapter 8 'Using a Linux Host to Set Up an SD/MMC Card'. I used 'dd' to copy uboot and the kernel image to the SD card as described, and then created a single partition (instead of the 7 existing ones) starting at offset 16384. I then mounted and copied the ubuntu ( 12_09_01_oneiric) image to this partition.

After connecting to the usb debug port of the SABRE board with cutecom I can see that the boot process stops with  the following message:

"Waiting for root device /dev/...". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

David

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
hemalgandhi
Contributor III

Hello,

To build the Linux source code L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_source.tar and boot linux on the IMX6Q board on HDMI monitor, Please refer the following steps.

1. Extract the L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_source.tar on Linux machine.(Ubuntu 9.04)

2. Setup the LTIB build environment (ltib_build_host_setup.pdf).You can find this document from L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_docs.tar  from http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX6_SW( Go to Documentation tab)

3. Configure the build parameter for IMX6Q board as mentioned in chapter 3 of document (i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User_Guide.pdf).

4. Save the configuration file , and start the build. Install the required libs.

5. uboot.bin,uImage is built at ./ltib/ltib/rootfs folder.

6. To get the rootfs for MFG tool go to rootfs directory. Write following command

• >cd your_rootfs_dir

• >sudo tar -cjf rootfs.tar.bz2 ./*

7. Download the MFG tool to update the SD card from http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX6_SW ( Go to i.MX 6 Software Updates and Releases)

8. Download the prebuilt images for Linux from above link.( L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_images_MX6Q.tar)

9. Replace u-boot-mx6q-sabresd.bin , uImage and rootfs.tar.bz2 in to Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\

10. Update the SD card as mentioned in the user guide chapter 6 using MFG tool. (i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User_Guide.pdf)

11. Boot the board and press any key to enter it in to uboot command prompt.

12. To use HDMI display, set the following environment variable on U-boot command.

• setenv loadaddr 0x10800000
  • setenv bootargs_base 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200'
  • setenv bootargs_mmc 'setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 rootwait rw video=mxcfb1:dev=ldb,LDB-XGA,if=RGB666 video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24'
  • setenv bootcmd_mmc 'run bootargs_base bootargs_mmc;mmc dev 2;mmc read ${loadaddr} 0x800 0x2000;bootm'
  • saveenv
  • run bootcmd

13. Enter root

14. So it will prompt root@freescale ~$

HDMI Display  shows a blue color desktop with a row of folder icon (Active Tasks, office, Internet, .... Desktop Preference)

Thanks,

Hemal Gandhi

PicusTech software.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jaysonwu
Contributor I

Hi,

I am having trouble with your step 10. the MFG tools, because based on the user guide that you supplied in which there are numerous boot switch setup which is not applicable in my imX6Q-SL board. I looked for more user guide on your site, but I can't seem to get the user guide for my board.

Can you please help me?

Thanks,

Jayson

0 Kudos
hemalgandhi
Contributor III

Hello,

To build the Linux source code L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_source.tar and boot linux on the IMX6Q board on HDMI monitor, Please refer the following steps.

1. Extract the L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_source.tar on Linux machine.(Ubuntu 9.04)

2. Setup the LTIB build environment (ltib_build_host_setup.pdf).You can find this document from L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_docs.tar  from http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX6_SW( Go to Documentation tab)

3. Configure the build parameter for IMX6Q board as mentioned in chapter 3 of document (i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User_Guide.pdf).

4. Save the configuration file , and start the build. Install the required libs.

5. uboot.bin,uImage is built at ./ltib/ltib/rootfs folder.

6. To get the rootfs for MFG tool go to rootfs directory. Write following command

• >cd your_rootfs_dir

• >sudo tar -cjf rootfs.tar.bz2 ./*

7. Download the MFG tool to update the SD card from http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX6_SW ( Go to i.MX 6 Software Updates and Releases)

8. Download the prebuilt images for Linux from above link.( L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_images_MX6Q.tar)

9. Replace u-boot-mx6q-sabresd.bin , uImage and rootfs.tar.bz2 in to Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\

10. Update the SD card as mentioned in the user guide chapter 6 using MFG tool. (i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User_Guide.pdf)

11. Boot the board and press any key to enter it in to uboot command prompt.

12. To use HDMI display, set the following environment variable on U-boot command.

• setenv loadaddr 0x10800000
  • setenv bootargs_base 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200'
  • setenv bootargs_mmc 'setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 rootwait rw video=mxcfb1:dev=ldb,LDB-XGA,if=RGB666 video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24'
  • setenv bootcmd_mmc 'run bootargs_base bootargs_mmc;mmc dev 2;mmc read ${loadaddr} 0x800 0x2000;bootm'
  • saveenv
  • run bootcmd

13. Enter root

14. So it will prompt root@freescale ~$

HDMI Display  shows a blue color desktop with a row of folder icon (Active Tasks, office, Internet, .... Desktop Preference)

Thanks,

Hemal Gandhi

PicusTech software.

0 Kudos