cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB OTG2: OTG 2.0 HID device

dhaval_shah
Contributor II

Hi Team,

I am working on the i.MX8mqevk and using the morty(4.9.51 GA release) version of yocto.

I am planning to configure the USG OTG2 as a OTG 2.0 usb HID device using the Type A port instead of the Type C.

For this, I gone through the datasheet and TRM to get information of how the configuration of the USB OTG1 is done during the boot mode flash so that USB OTG1 is detected as the OTG 2.0 HID device.

Based on that I get the following information.

I got some information from section 6.1.8.1.2 on page number 1356 in TRM it mentioned while system booting time ROM code is configure USB_OTG_ID pin.

6.1.8.1.2 IOMUX configuration for USB The interface signals of the UTMI PHY are not configured in the IOMUX,, except for the USB_OTGn_ID pins. The USB ID pin function is configured using the USBNC_n_CTRL2[ID_DIG_SEL] and the IOMUXC_USB_OTGn_ID_SELECT_INPUT register. The remaining pins of the UTMI PHY interface use the dedicated contacts on the IC. 

ROM code will only do the configuration to the USB OTG1 during the boot mode flashing  to detect that port as 2.0 HID device on host side?

Or there is any other changes needs to be done from the firmware side to detect as 2.0 USB HID device on the Host side.

There is any role of the type C cable during the flash mode to detect as the 2.0 HID device. 

Please let me know if you need any more information from my side.

Thanks & Regards,

Dhaval

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dhaval,

The USB controllers included on i.MX8M have separate USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 PHYs that could be used independently (refer to Figure 11.1 “USB interface block diagram” from IMX8MDQLQ Reference Manual.

If it is desired to have OTG functionality on a micro-AB port, it would be required to follow the hardware design recommendations from other USB 2.0 processors, like the “Hardware Development Guide for i.MX6”, and also the proper software support.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos